Professor of Economic History
Joint Chair RSCAS/Department of History and Civilization
Tel. [+39] 055 4685 760 / 739 - [+39] 055 4686 362
Administrative Assistant at HEC: Fabrizio Borchi - Administrative Assistant at RSCAS: Francesca Elia
Postal address: Department of History and Civilization | Via Boccaccio 121 | 50133 Florence - Italy
Villa Schifanoia - Office VS 16 - For appointments please contact: Fabrizio Borchi (HEC) or Francesca Elia (RSCAS)
Fields of Research
- Economic History
- Business History
- Financial History
- European Comparative History
Current Research Projects
- Sovereign Defaults and Systemic Financial Crises since the mid-nineteenth century
- The Memory of Financial Crises
- Financial Capitalism: the Historical perspective
Selected Recent Publications
- Capitals of Capital. A History of International Financial Centres, 1780-2005, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2006, 384 pp. (Expanded paperback edition, 2010). Translated in French, German, Italian, Romanian and Chinese.
- Crises and Opportunities. The Shaping of Modern Finance, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2011, 200 pp. (Paperback edition, 2013).
- Private Banking in Europe: Rise Retreat and Resurgence (with Philip L. Cottrell), Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2015, 264 pp.
- Financing Infrastructure in Europe: Insights into the History of Water, Transport, and Telecommunication, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2016 (editor, with Giuseppe De Luca and Massimo Florio), 358 pp.
- The Oxford Handbook of Banking and Financial History (editor, with Richard Grossman and Catherine Schenk), Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2016, 537 pp.
- The Performance of European Business in the Twentieth Century (editor, with Andrea Colli and Harm Schröter), Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2016, 359 pp.