Professor of Comparative History of Europe (19th to 20th centuries)
Tel. [+39] 055 4686 543 / 362
Administrative Assistant: Fabrizio Borchi
Postal address: Department of History and Civilization | Via Bolognese 156 | 50139 Florence - Italy
Villa Salviati, Castello - Office SACA 209 - Office Hours: Thursdays, 11.00-13.00
Fields of Research
- Modern European History, especially Italy
- Nineteenth- and early twentieth-century European colonialism
- Nationalism and nation-building
- Religion and politics
English, Italian, French, German, Spanish
Current Research Projects
- European colonies of settlement in Argentina, Peru and Chile, c.1810 to c.1940
- Masculinity and politics in modern Europe
- History and memory in Southern Italy
Selected Recent Publications
- "The sex lives of Italian patriots", in V. Babini, C. Beccalossi and L. Riall (eds), Italian Sexualities Uncovered. The Long Nineteenth Century (London, Palgrave, 2015), pp. 37-57.
- "Travel, migration, exile: Garibaldi’s global fame", Modern Italy 19/1 (2014), pp. 41-52.
- "Introduction" to Ippolito Nievo, Confessions of an Italian (London, Penguin Modern Classics, 2014 ), xiii-xxxii.
- Under the Volcano: Revolution in a Sicilian Town (Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2013) - Italian translation: La Rivolta. Bronte 1860 (Rome & Bari, Laterza, 2012).
- "Guerre et nation dans l’Italie du Risorgimento", Revue de l’histoire du xix siècle, 44/1 (2012), pp. 49-64.
- "Anticattolicesimo e rinascita cattolica: la Gran Bretagna, l’Irlanda e gli stati pontifici, 1850-1860", in R. Balzani and A. Varni (eds), La Romagna nel Risorgimento. Politica, società e cultura al tempo dell'Unità (Rome and Bari, Laterza, 2012), pp. 5-44.
- "Men at war: masculinity and military ideals in the Risorgimento", in S. Patriarca and L. Riall (eds), The Risorgimento revisited: Nationalism and Culture in 19th-Century Italy (London, Palgrave, 2012), pp. 152-70.
- "The shallow end of history? On the substance and future of political biography", Journal of Interdisciplinary History, 40/3, 2010, pp. 375-97.
- "Martyr cults in nineteenth-century Italy", Journal of Modern History, 82/2, 2010, pp. 255-87.
- "Fathers of the nation? Bismarck, Garibaldi and the cult of memory in Germany and Italy" (with Robert Gerwarth), European History Quarterly, 39/3, 2009, pp. 388-413.