Media For Diversity And Migrant Integration
Consolidating Knowledge & Assessing Media Practices across the EU
The MEDIVA project seeks to strengthen the capacity of the media to reflect the increasing diversity of European societies and thus foster a better understanding of immigrant integration processes at a time when social cohesion and integration policies are put to the test by an acute economic crisis.
To achieve this aim, the project will:
- survey existing studies/projects assessing the media capacity to reflect diversity and promote migrant integration (looking at 5 aspects: content of news, news making and programme production, recruitment,employment, training) across Europe;
- create a searchable database of these studies;
- create a set of Indicators assessing the capacity of the media to reflect diversity and promote integration;
- assess 30 selected media outlets (TV channels, newspapers, news web sites) across Europe on the basis of these indicators;
- organize 5 Internat.Workshops to present the database, the indicators and discuss how they can be used;
- create and use a targeted e-mail list of relevant stakeholders to disseminate the project results (database, indicators, their use for policy assessment/policy design and journalist training).