Preserve and make accessible for research the archives deposited by EU institutions, collect and preserve private papers of individuals, movements and international organizations involved in European integration, facilitate research on the history of the European Union, promote public interest in European integration and enhance transparency in the functioning of EU Institutions.
The HAEU was established in 1983 following the regulation by the Council of the European Communities and the decision by the Commission of the European Communities to open their historical archives to the public. A subsequent agreement in 1984 between the European Commission and the European University Institute (EUI) laid the groundwork for establishing the Archives in Florence, and the HAEU opened its doors to researchers and the public in 1986. Since then, a 2011 Framework Partnership Agreement between the EUI and the European Commission reinforced the Historical Archives’ role in preserving and providing access to the archival holdings of the EU Institutions. In March 2015 the Council of the European Union amended the regulations from 1983 by adopting a new Council Regulation.
Key figures 2015
In 2012, the HAEU moved into the historic Villa Salviati, a state-of-the-art archives, with 11,000 linear meters of shelving available, which offers magnificent views of the Tuscan countryside from Fiesole to Florence.
- 169 fonds, 5.260 linear metres for a total of 250.000 archival units.
Books and Documentation
- 17.120 library units
- 538 doctoral theses based on archival fonds.
- E-Resources (DORIE, DNSA, DDRS…)
- ‘Official Journal of the European Union’ (from 1952 to 1999 in all communitarian languages).
- ‘Debates of European Parliament’ (1952 until today).
Image and Audio collection
- 15.000 photographs
- 7.230 audio recordings and 600 oral history interviews
- 250.000 database items
- 14.000 digitalized archival files
- 720 registered visitors
- 1,4 million hits at web site
- 121.000 downloads