Banking data: SNL Financial
SNL Financial provides data on approximately 29,000 banking institutions worldwide. Ownership information; financial statements; market analysis; filings; maps of bank locations; mergers and acquisitions information; and financial sector news and alerts are provided. An Excel add-in can be used for the selection and elaboration of data variables, geographical coverage and time series. SNL Financial is published by Standard and Poors.
- Data coverage for European banks is up to 13 years
- Coverage for North America is up to 30 years
- Data coverage for banks in emerging markets averages five years.
|First time users of SNL Financial
||Return users of SNL Finacial
- Go to the SNL Financial proxied link in the EUI Library catalogue
- When the SNL homepage opens, click the 'Register' tab
- Enter an EUI mail account
- An activation message is sent to the EUI address
- Open the email and click on the link
- Complete the registration form
- A second link is sent by email
- Click on the link and set a password
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions by ticking in the box provided
- Complete the registration process. Under Profile, choose the first (Banking Sector-Focused User) and under Industry, choose 'Banking'
- Click Next
- A new screen opens and requests various preferences such as time-zone and topics
- Go to the SNL Financial proxied link in the Library catalogue
- When the SNL homepage opens, click the 'Sign In' tab
- Enter the EUI mail and the password used at registration
Example of European banking data download
- Go to APPS in the upper left of the top menu
- Click on 'Screener' (5th in the APPS dropdown menu)
- To access data, change options as required, eg:
- Operating Status: operating and/or acquired/defunct
- Ownership Status: listed and/or non-listed
- Geography: Europe
- Industry: Banking
- Coverage Depth: full and/or summary (both recommended, as 'summary' also contains detailed observations)
- Parents/subsidiaries: included / excluded
- Consolidated Status: consolidated and/or unconsolidated.
EUI members can also use the new (beta) SNL interface, by clicking the top tab for 'Try the new SNL.'
Excel 'short-cut' to SNL Financial
SNL Financial can also be accessed directly from Excel on EUI desktops.
SNL Office is an Excel add-in that allows users to extract data directly from the SNL Financial platform directly into MS Excel workbooks for further elaboration and subsetting. Workbooks can subsequently be updated.
- Open Excel from Start > Programmes on an EUI desktop computer
- Click on the 'SNL' tab at the upper right of the top menu.
Managing news alerts
The SNL Financial platform generates daily news alerts. These alerts are generated from the profile selections (eg. sectoral, geographical &c.) used during registration.
To adjust alert settings (or to discontinue alerts) please follow these instructions:
- Go to 'Account Settings' (top right)
- Press 'Modify Settings' (bottom of new box)
- Scroll down and adjust 'Alerts and Portfolios'
- Click 'Done.'
Related EUI data resources
EUI members also have access to these related databases (full list on the Data Portal):
- Global Financial Database providing long-range financial data series on stocks, bonds, bills and other observations, covering approximately 200 countries
- Datastream global financial and macroeconomic platform covering equities, stock market indices, currencies, company fundamentals, fixed income securities and key economic indicators for 175 countries and 60 markets.
- Amadeus database of comparable financial and business information on Europe's largest 500,000 public and private companies by total assets. 43 countries are covered.
Non-EUI members to do not have access to SNL Financial.
Off-campus access (EUI members only)
- EUI members can access SNL Financial off campus
- Off-campus access is only for the 'classic' SNL platform view
Contact: Thomas Bourke at firstname.lastname@example.org