Banking data: SNL Financial
SNL Financial provides data on approximately 29,000 banking institutions worldwide. Ownership information; financial statements; market analysis; filings; maps of bank locations; mergers and acquisitions information; and financial sector news and alerts are provided. An Excel add-in can be used for the selection and elaboration of data variables, geographical coverage and time series. SNL Financial is published by Standard and Poors.
- Data coverage for European banks is up to 13 years
- Coverage for North America is up to 30 years
- Data coverage for banks in emerging markets averages five years.
|First time users of SNL Financial
||Return users of SNL Finacial
- Go to the SNL Financial proxied link in the EUI Library catalogue
- When the SNL homepage opens, click the 'Register' tab
- Enter an EUI mail account
- An activation message is sent to the EUI address
- Open the email and click on the link
- Complete the registration form
- A second link is sent by email
- Click on the link and set a password
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions by ticking in the box provided
- Complete the registration process. Under Profile, choose the first (Banking Sector-Focused User) and under Industry, choose 'Banking'
- Click Next
- A new screen opens and requests various preferences such as time-zone and topics
- Go to the SNL Financial proxied link in the Library catalogue
- When the SNL homepage opens, click the 'Sign In' tab
- Enter the EUI mail and the password used at registration
Example of European banking data download
- Go to APPS in the upper left of the top menu
- Click on 'Screener' (5th in the APPS dropdown menu)
- To access data, change options as required, eg:
- Operating Status: operating and/or acquired/defunct
- Ownership Status: listed and/or non-listed
- Geography: Europe
- Industry: Banking
- Coverage Depth: full and/or summary (both recommended, as 'summary' also contains detailed observations)
- Parents/subsidiaries: included / excluded
- Consolidated Status: consolidated and/or unconsolidated.
EUI members can also use the new (beta) SNL interface, by clicking the top tab for 'Try the new SNL.'
Excel 'short-cut' to SNL Financial
SNL Financial can also be accessed directly from Excel on EUI desktops.
SNL Office is an Excel add-in that allows users to extract data directly from the SNL Financial platform directly into MS Excel workbooks for further elaboration and subsetting. Workbooks can subsequently be updated.
- Open Excel from Start > Programmes on an EUI desktop computer
- Click on the 'SNL' tab at the upper right of the top menu.
The user guide for the SNL Excel add-in is on this page.
Managing news alerts
The SNL Financial platform generates daily news alerts. These alerts are generated from the profile selections (eg. sectoral, geographical &c.) used during registration.
To adjust alert settings (or to discontinue alerts) please follow these instructions:
- Go to 'Account Settings' (top right)
- Press 'Modify Settings' (bottom of new box)
- Scroll down and adjust 'Alerts and Portfolios'
- Click 'Done.'
Related EUI data resources
EUI members also have access to these related databases (full list on the Data Portal):
- Global Financial Database providing long-range financial data series on stocks, bonds, bills and other observations, covering approximately 200 countries
- Datastream global financial and macroeconomic platform covering equities, stock market indices, currencies, company fundamentals, fixed income securities and key economic indicators for 175 countries and 60 markets.
- Amadeus database of comparable financial and business information on Europe's largest 500,000 public and private companies by total assets. 43 countries are covered.
Non-EUI members to do not have access to SNL Financial.
Off-campus access (EUI members only)
- EUI members can access SNL Financial off campus
- Off-campus access is only for the 'classic' SNL platform view
Contact: Thomas Bourke at email@example.com