German SOEP - Socio-Economic Panel (DIW)
The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP) is a longitudinal survey of approximately 11,000 private households in the Federal Republic of Germany from 1984 to 2015 (release January 2017), and eastern German länder from 1990 to 2015. The database is produced by the Deutsches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (DIW), Berlin. Variables include household composition, employment, occupations, earnings, health and satisfaction indicators.
- German SOEP Wave 32 (Core) was released in January 2017 and is available on the EUI Library restricted server (registration required).
- German SOEP coverage is from 1984 to 2015.
- German SOEPlong coverage is from 1984 to 2014. (The 2015 'Long' release is due in spring 2017.)
DIW Berlin provides detailed information about German SOEP methodology and variables in German and English.
Updates about the survey, international workshops, related literature and funding opportunities are published in the German SOEP newsletter.
Research papers based on the data are listed on this DIW page.
Current EUI members can access German SOEP data as follows:
- Complete the online Data Registration Form (selecting 'G-SOEP' in the dropdown menu)
- Sign the EUI 'Conditions of Use' agreement and the 'Confidentiality Declaration' at the Badia Library Economics Office (085) or the Economics Department information desk (VSP)
- EUI members who wish to use the data should send a project title and the name of their supervisor (where applicable) to email@example.com
- Following registration, users will be given access to the restricted server and provided with a password
Please read, and abide by, the terms and conditions of use for licensed data resources.
Selected indicators are also available for download via SOEPmonitor.
PanelWhiz is a collection of German SOEP-compatible Stata/SE® add-on scripts, developed by John Haisken-DeNew (Essen).
Scholars may apply for access to restricted geo-coded regional-level data which can only be consulted on the DIW premises in Berlin.
Contact: Thomas Bourke at firstname.lastname@example.org