- EUI members can borrow a maximum of 50 items at any one time; short-term EUI visitors can borrow a maximum of 10 items at one time
- All loans must be checked out at either the Loan Desk or at the self check-out machine
- Items on loan should be returned by the due date shown on the user's personal Library account (Check My Library Account)
- Different items have different Loan Periods
- If not reserved by another user, loans may be renewed up to twelve times through My Library Account, after which items must be returned to the Library
- No item may be borrowed on behalf of another person without express authorisation and/or presentation of that person's EUI Library card
- Users are legally responsible for all items borrowed in their name
- An overdue item may be renewed but if the ‘grace period’ has elapsed before the renewal, a fine is still payable
- Inter-library loans are not renewable
It is a serious offence to write in, damage, lose or refuse to return Library material. The cost of replacement for lost or damaged material will be charged to the user and other sanctions may be applied.
To see what you have borrowed in the past you check "My Reading History" in your library account. All items checked out will be recorded until you delete them or disable this option.
Borrowed books remain on a user's loan record and are subject to fines until they have been checked in at the Loan Desk.
Many EUI buildings have a secure box labelled ‘EUI Library Books Drop’. Deposited books are returned to the Library and checked in every week-day. However, you should check your personal Library account (Check My Library Account) to make sure they have arrived safely.
It is the responsibility of the user to notify the Library of any discrepancy.
Fines are charged automatically by the Library system. To avoid a fine, if a book is overdue and near the end of its ‘grace period’, you should return it to the Library in person.
Some older and/or rare material is kept in storage. To consult books, request them via the Book Delivery Service. To consult journals make a storage request. Requested documents are collected from the storage once a day (Mondays-Fridays), and are available from 17.00 onwards.
An item already on loan to another user can be reserved by using the 'Place Hold' option in the Catalogue. It becomes no longer renewable, and once returned, is kept at the Loan Desk for pickup. Items are only recalled immediately by Library staff if needed for seminars.
Consulted items should not be reshelved, but left on the book trolleys available throughout the Library for quick reshelving.
Books reserved for seminars are kept at the Loan Desk. They must be checked out before being consulted in the Library, and then checked in at the Loan Desk. Overnight loans of specific items are only allowed if specifically requested by the Department. Check the Library Catalogue to for seminar literature listed by professor or by course.
Books reserved for Economics seminars (‘VSP reserve’) are kept at Villa San Paolo.