Why Apply to the Max Weber Programme
This webpage is subject to change for the 2018-19 Call for Applications.
- The Max Weber Programme (MWP) at the European University Institute (EUI) is the largest and most innovative postdoctoral programme in the historical and social sciences in Europe.
- The MWP is open to eligible applicants who are within 5 years from the completion of their PhD, from anywhere in the world, regardless of nationality and including non-EU citizens.
- The MWP is a global programme at a global institution located in Italy. Like the Fellows, Professors and Researchers at the European University Institute come from across Europe - from Portugal to Russia, and beyond it - from Asia and the Antipodes to North and Latin America, contributing their different academic traditions to the distinctive mix of the Institute. The language of the programme is English.
- The Programme is among the most selective – attracting circa 1200 applicants each year - in the fields of political and social sciences, economics, law and history for some 55-60 Fellowships.
- The Programme awards 1, 2, and exceptionally 3 year long fellowships according to departments.
- The Max Weber Fellows enjoy the superb research facilities of the European University Institute (including an outstanding library, a shared office space, and a personal research fund of 1000 euros).
- The MWP is unique among postdoctoral programmes in helping Fellows to become full members of a global academic community.
- Its placement record is second to none: most Max Weber Fellows secure an academic position in the finest institutions around the world upon completion of the Programme.