Home » Services and Admin » Academic Service » Practical Information » Health & Accident Insurance

Health and Accident Insurance for Researchers and Fellows

Medical and accident insurance matters for researchers and post-doctorate fellows are dealt with by the EUI Academic Service.

This page gives researchers, postdocs (Max Weber, Jean Monnet, Fernand Braudel fellows) and all EUI members general information on the medical and accident insurance schemes run by the EUI.


Privacy statement for Management of Researchers’ and Post-doctorate Fellows’ Data for Insurance Purposes (PDF) 

Accident Insurance

The Accident Insurance is an additional, collective policy that the Institute has taken out with Cigna Life Insurance Company NV/Cigna International Health Services BVBA (Policy Nr. 910.K88).

The following EUI active members are, by default, covered world-wide against the risks of accident:

  • Ph.D. or LL.M researchers;
  • Post-doc fellows;
  • Trainees;
  • Visiting researchers;
  • Visitors;
  • Children at the day childcare center of the EUI.

The dependents of the EUI’s active members are NOT eligible for this accident insurance cover. They are advised to take out accident insurance coverage either in Italy or in their country of origin that will be valid for the entire duration of their stay in Italy.

In case of accident, there is a 60-day deadline from the date of the accident within which to complete the Declaration of Accident form and sent it to benefits@cigna.com, with all relevant documentation issued by the Emergency Service.

Please also notify the Academic Service by sending an email to Health.Insurance@eui.eu

Emergency Hospital Care

European Union citizens in possession of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC in English, or TEAM in Italian) are entitled to receive emergency hospital care paying just a contribution to the Italian National Health Service (NHS), instead of paying the costs in full. The amount of such contribution is calculated according to the severity code assigned by the Emergency Department upon admission. The costs not paid by you are charged to the NHS of your country of origin.

Special agreements with the Italian NHS, providing rights similar to those guaranteed by the EHIC, also exist in some non-EU countries. Non-EU citizens should check if such an agreement exists in their country of origin, and if this is the case, they may ask a certificate of entitlement before coming to Italy. This document will entitle them to receive emergency hospital care under the same conditions as EHIC-holders (see above).

Foreign citizens without EHIC or certificate of entitlement have to pay in full the hospital emergency cares, unless they prove to be under the poverty line and to be in need of urgent and necessary care.

Health Insurance Options

All researchers and post-doctorate fellows must have adequate medical insurance for the duration of their stay at the EUI.

New EUI members who are already covered by a private or state/national insurance will be informed upon registration whether the insurance scheme is adequate in Italy. If it is, they are requested to sign a declaration form.

For anyone who is not already covered by a national or private insurance scheme, there are the following options:

  • Cigna

The EUI has taken out a group medical insurance policy with Cigna to which the following EUI active members are eligible to register:

  • Ph.D. or LL.M researchers;
  • Visiting researchers;
  • Post-doc fellows;
  • Part-time professors;
  • Trainees;
  • Dependents of the aforementioned members of the Policyholder’s community and dependents of the Policyholder’s statutory members that are not eligible for JSIS (Joint Sickness Insurance Scheme of the European Institutions) or for an equivalent other insurance cover provided by the funding authorities.

Researchers in receipt of grants from Austria, Belgium, Ireland, Latvia, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Sweden and the United Kingdom are insured against sickness via this group medical policy at the expense of their grant-awarding authority.

For more information, please visit the Cigna Medical Health Insurance page.


  • Registration with Voluntary Contribution to the Italian NHS

Foreign citizens temporary living in Italy for study purposes, without dependents, and funded by a maintenance grant (*), are entitled to subscribe to the Italian National Health Service paying a voluntary contribution, i.e. a flat rate currently fixed at 149,77 EUR per calendar year. Under this special regulation (applying to students only), it is not required to be officially resident in Italy. If the student is accompanied by his/her dependents (unemployed spouse and/or dependent children under the age of 18), the whole family unit can subscribe to the Italian NHS paying an overall contribution of  387,34  EUR per calendar year. 

To register, you must provide the local NHS Office with the following set of documents:

  • national ID,
  • EUI certificate in Italian proving your enrolment as “student” or “research student”,
  • proof of the payment of the voluntary contribution,
  • registration form (PDF).

See below where to register.

(*) Students who have subscribed a work contract with their national funding authorities, and therefore receive a salary rather than a grant, do not fall under this regulation. Before applying to the Italian NHS or any other insurance scheme, they should ask the respective employers about their health insurance coverage in Italy. Normally, contract-holders are entitled to register to the Italian NHS without paying a fee, but this requires a preliminary procedure to be carried out with the public health system in their country of origin.

In other cases not falling under the above regulation, it is also possible to register to the Italian NHS paying a voluntary contribution which is calculated on a percentage of income, and cannot be less than Euro 387,34. The payment of the contribution also covers dependents.

To register, the following documents are required:

See below where to register.

(**) in this case, it is necessary to be officially resident in Italy.  It should be also stressed that this contribution is calculated on a percentage of income which is rather high. It might be cheaper in some cases to subscribe to the EUI-Cigna group medical insurance scheme.

  • The right to health care starts from the day of registration, has the duration of a calendar year, is not divisible and has no retroactive effect.
  • You can register at any Local NHS office. We recommend the office at Via Gabriele D'Annunzio, 29 - Firenze - Tel. 055 6934901).
  • For further details, please consult the relevant web page of the Florence branch of the NHS (only in Italian).

Travel and Medical Insurance for Short-term Visitors to the EUI

According to the European Council Decision of 22 December 2003 regarding the requirement to be in possession of travel medical insurance when applying for a short-term or travel visa, ‘applicants must show that they are in possession of adequate and valid individual or group travel insurance to cover any expenses which might arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospital treatment’.

To facilitate short-term Visitors (i.e. visiting the EUI for a few days), the EUI provides an Accident Insurance taken up with the Cigna Company.

For further information please contact Health.Insurance@EUI.eu

USA Complementary Cover

Researchers and fellows going in the USA for a temporary stay due to academic or professional reasons, and who are under the group insurance contract CIGNA 910.K62, can apply –at their own expense- for a Complementary cover under the policy CHARTIS EUROPE 2.070.036. This policy being valid until 31 December 2016, the EUI will provide information on an eventual new policy in due time.


Page last updated on 06 July 2017