Home » Services and Admin » Academic Service » Practical Information » ID Cards, Permits, Visas

ID Cards, Permits, Visas


Visas (Non-EU/EEA Nationals )

Non-EU/EEA researchers and fellows (staying for at least 12 months) who will be admitted in September and require a Visa to travel to Italy, should file their request for a special Visa (Type D - Mission) with the relevant Italian Embassy/Consulate. The EUI assists researchers and fellows providing them with complete information and issuing special letters of visa support and additional documentation to be presented to the Italian Embassy/Consulate. Non-EU/EEA dependents accompanying researchers or fellows during their stay at the EUI can also receive a letter of visa support from the EUI but should apply for a different type of Visa.

  • Ph.D.and LL.M. Researchers, Jean Monnet and Max Weber Fellows, & Families should contact: Lorenzo.ghezzi@eui.eu, Admissions Officer.
  • Fernand Braudel Fellows, Visiting Fellows & Families should contact: WelcomeUnit@eui.eu, Welcome Unit

A visa entitles you to enter the Italian territory but NOT to reside in Italy. After arriving in Italy, there are further procedures to complete in order to settle residence obligations.

Please see:

Important: To obtain the MAE ID card, non-EU researchers and fellows must hold a ‘Visto di Tipo D, per Missione di lunga durata’.

Further information on Visas for Italy are also available on the website of the Italian ministry of Foreign Affairs (Visas Section) and on the EUI Life In Florence - Information Guide (PDF).

Special ID Card issued by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE Card) 

This is a special ID card issued by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Ministero degli Affari Esteri (MAE) to non-Italian members of the EUI. The main purpose of this this special identity card is to exempt non-EU/EEA nationals from applying for a permit of stay (Permesso di Soggiorno) with the Italian authorities. Furthermore, the card - together with a valid passport – entitles non-EU/EEA holders to enter the territory of any Schengen state. The MAE Card can been shown as proof of identity to the police or to other Italian authorities if the need arises. It also proves that the the holder is a member of an international intergovernmental organisation, such as the EUI.

It is issued shortly after your arrival: all procedures are directly managed by the EUI Admissions Office in coordination with the Italian Ministry of F.A..

IMPORTANT: For complete information on the MAE Card, including Application, Renewal and Replacement procedures, please see: Purposes and Use of the MAE Card (PDF). EUI researchers and fellows are kindly reminded that it’s their responsibility to ensure that they are complying with the regulations concerning entry and stay in the territory of the Italian Republic or any other state. The EUI Admissions Office is available for further information and assistance.

The Ministry ID card is issued to EUI researchers, post-doc fellows, staff members and staff members’ dependants, for stays of 1 year or more. The MAE card is strictly connected to the affiliation to the EUI (i.e. the card cannot be renewed beyond the duration of the researcher’s student status which for the EUI doctoral programme, can last up to 60 months). Family members of researchers and fellows, visiting researchers or fellows, and all members registered at the EUI for less than one year are not eligible for the special Ministry card. They subsequently must register their stay in Italy according to the information reported in the paragraphs below.

How to Travel in the Schengen Area with the MAE Card 

As reported on the reverse side of the document itself, the card - together with a valid passport – entitles the bearer to enter the territory of any Schengen state

In EU countries covered by the Schengen Agreement, the MAE ID card means that you will normally not need a visa for short stays or when in transit. However, we advise you to check with the relevant Embassy/Consulate in Italy before travelling.  Non-EU/EEA nationals, who need to travel in EU countries after they have registered as a researcher/fellow are advised to ask for a declaration from the EUI in Italian, French, German, English or Spanish to clarify that the MAE ID Card substitutes the normal ‘permesso di soggiorno’. This declaration can be shown, along with your IMAE ID card and your valid passport, if you are requested to provide proof of your Italian residence (soggiorno).

The MAE Card cannot be used as a travel document without a valid passport.

For additional information and assistance please contact: Lorenzo.ghezzi@eui.eu.

Normal Residence Permit for Non-EU citizens (Permesso di soggiorno or Dichiarazione di Presenza)

Residence Permit/Declaration of Presence are obligatory for:

  • non-EU/EEA researchers and fellows who are not in possess of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE) Card
  • non-EU/EEA partner or dependent of a researcher or fellow
  • non-EU/EEA visiting/exchange student or visiting fellow
  • non-EU/EEA trainees

Foreign citizens staying in Italy up to 90 days must submit a ‘dichiarazione di presenza' (declaration of presence) within 8 working days after their arrival in Italy. For Non-EU citizens coming from countries that do not apply the Schengen Convention the obligation to make a declaration of presence is satisfied through application of the USV sticker on the travel document at the moment of border control.

Non-EU citizens staying in Italy for more than 90 days must apply for a ‘permesso di soggiorno’ (residence permit) within 8 working days after their arrival in Italy.  

How to get a 'dichiarazione di presenza' or a 'permesso di soggiorno':

The EUI offers assistance to members and dependents that need to apply for a Residence Permit or submit a Declaration of Presence. This service is sponsored by the Institute and implemented by an external provider, Eduservices, and includes:

  • Assistance in the submission of the application (either first application or renewal if applicable)
  • Assistance during the first appointment with the relevant Italian authority (Questura di Firenze): applicants will be accompanied by an English and Italian-speaking Eduservices’ representative.

Fees and taxes due to the Italian State are at the expenses of the applicant as well as any additional services provided by Eduservices (if required). Additional costs related to no-shows or severe delays caused by applicants might be charged by Eduservices to applicants.

If you wish to request assistance, please contact directly Eduservices:

To speed up procedures, we also strongly advise you to register with Eduservices before you arrive in Italy:

For further information please contact:

Registration of EU Citizens - Certificate of Residence (Certificato di Residenza)

  • EU citizens and non-EU citizens staying in Italy for more than 3 months may apply for legal residence at their local town hall registry office (Comune, Ufficio Anagrafe).
  • EU citizens staying in Italy for under 3 months do not need a certificate of residence.

Note: Legal residence is useful. For example, without such a certificate you would not be able to purchase a car, sign a contract for utilities, or apply for a driving licence.

If you plan to register your residence in Italy, before leaving your country of origin, obtain an international family book (libretto di famiglia) or an accurate translation of your marriage certificate.





Page last updated on 22 May 2017