9 January: Introductory session
- Laura Lee Downs, “Gender History” in Peter Burke et Marek Tamm, eds. Debating New Approaches in History (Bloomsbury, 2018)
Part I: Sex, gender and bodies
16 January: Normative Genders
- Gertje A. Mak, “Conflicting Heterosexualities: Hermaphroditism and the Emergence of Surgery around 1900,” Journal of the History of Sexuality 24, no. 3 (2015), pp. 402-427
- R. Krafft-Ebing, Excerpts from Psychopathia Sexualis, 78-86; 127-131; 177-179;247-255; 307-321; 345-357
23 January: Magally Allegre Henderson (Pontifica Universidad Catolica del Peru) “From the Complicated Terrain of Homosexuality to the Queer History of Latin America”
- Martín Bowen Silva, "Experimenting with Nature. José Ignacio Eyzaguirre's General Confession and the Knowledge of the Body (1799-1804)", in Zeb Tortorici, ed. Sexuality and the Unnatural in Colonial Colonial Latin America (2016), pp. 95-119.
- Chad Thomas Black, "Prosecuting Female-Female Sex in Boubon Quito", in Zeb Tortorici, ed. Sexuality and the Unnatural in Colonial Colonial Latin America (2016), 120-140.
- Magally Alegre Henderson, "'It Is My Husband Who Has Such Weaknesses'. A Mid-Nineteenth-Century Peruvian Divorce Case. In Sean Brady and Mark Seymour, eds. From Sodomy Laws to Same-Sex Marriage: International Perspectives since 1789 (2019), pp. 71-82.
30 January: Gender/Sex and Identity are in the body. How did they get there?
6 February: Gender/Sex, Bodies and the Environment
- Stacey Alaimo & Susan Hekman, ed., Material Feminisms: Elizabeth Grosz, “Darwin and feminism: preliminary investigations for a possible alliance”; Alaimo, “Trans-corporeal feminisms and the ethical space of nature” (e-book)
- Rachel Stein, ed., New Perspectives on Environmental Justice. Gender, Sexuality, and Activism: Rachel Stein, “Bodily Invasions: Gene Trading and Organ Theft in Octavia Butler and Nalo Hopkinson’s Speculative Fiction” (e-book)
- Donna Haraway, “Otherworldly conversations, terran topics, local terms;” Alaimo & Hekman, “Emerging models of materiality in feminist theory;”
- Beth Berila, “Toxic Bodies? ACT UP’s Disruption of the Heteronormative Landscape of the Nation” & Katie Hogan, “Detecting Toxic Environments: Gay Mystery as Environmental Justice” in Alaimo, ed. Material Feminisms
Part II: Agency and Emotions, Law and Politics
13 February: Gender, Sexuality and Politics in early 20th-century Central Europe
- Anita Kurimay, “Interrogating the Historical Revisionism of the Hungarian Right: The Queer case of Cecile Tormay” in East European Politics and Societies 30 (2016) 10-33.
- Scott Spector “’The Wrath of the Countess Merviola:’ Tabloid Expose and the Emergence of Homosexual Subjects in Vienna in 1907” in Contemporary Austrian Studies 15, Sexuality in Austria, 31-47
20 February: Guest lecture: Benno Gammerl (Goldsmiths, UCL) on History of emotions and history of sexuality
- Benno Gammerl, “Affecting Legal Change. Law and Same Sex Feelings in West Germany Since the 1950s” & Gammerl, “Curtains Up!”
- Deborah Gould, “On Affect and Protest”
27 February: Gender Sexuality and Politics on the Right and on the Left in 20th-century Europe
- Felicia Morris “Beautiful Monsters,” Legacy 11/1 (2001)
- Chiara Buonfiglioli, “Becoming Citizen: The politics of women’s emancipation in socialist Yugoslavia,” Citizenship in Southeastern Europe, 2012
- Laura Lee Downs, 'La piu’ serena italianizzazione?' Social action and nationalist politics in the North-eastern Adriatic borderlands (1919-1954), Acta Histriae 26/4 (December 2018), 1087-1102
- Dangerous Women Project, Partizanke. Their Dangerous Legacy in the Post-Yugoslav Space (1 April 2016) &
- Andreja Dugandzik & Tijana Ocik, The Lost Revolution. AFZ: Women’s Anti-fascist Front, Introduction (Sarajevo, 2018)
5 March: No class this week
6 April: Concluding presentations, analysis and dicussion of selected research sources
The two professors, Max Weber Fellow and each researcher will choose a small text or image from her research to present to the rest of the seminar. The researcher will spend about 5-7 minutes demonstrating a gender-based reading/analysis of the source adn then the seminar will discuss it.