This group meets every two-three weeks during the academic year; it is for researchers and post-doctoral fellows working with Checkel, and is run by him. We utilize it as a forum for presentations of work-in-progress (prospectuses, thesis chapters, drafts of conference papers); discussing current trends and controversies in IR theory, be they over ethics, data, meta-theory, theory or method; and critically evaluating arguments in the literature (journal articles, book chapters). The focus is on helping researchers and fellows make better arguments in their projects; skill building; and a bit of professional socialization.
Schedule of Papers/Presentations, Third Term, Academic Year 2020-2021
22 April 2021 (Thursday, 12.00-14.00): Selma Kropp, Discussion Leader, Two Articles from European Journal of International Relations 25th Anniversary Special Issue
29 April 2021 (Thursday, 13.00-15.00): Wolfgang Minatti, ECPR Joint Sessions Paper, 'Beyond Legitimacy: Process, Agency and ‘the Local’ within the Legitimation of International Organisation'
11 May 2021 (Tuesday, 12.00-14.00): Jeff Checkel, SPS Departmental Seminar Talk, 'Open Science, Research Transparency and Qualitative Methods'
27 May 2021 (Thursday, 12.00-14.00): Marius Ghincea, Thesis Chapter, 'Studying Identity Politics in Europe'
3 June 2021 (Thursday, 12.00-14.00): Shubha Prasad, Draft Article, 'Democracies & Repression: Using the Law for Increased Domestic Coercive Capacity'
24 June 2021 (Thursday, 12.00-14.00): Mariusz Bogacki, Discussion Leader, Two or Three Articles from International Organization 75th Anniversary Special Issue
Schedule of Papers/Presentations, Second Term, Academic Year 2020-2021
- 14 January 2021 – Wolfgang Minatti, Draft Journal Article: “Legitimacy, Governance and Agency in Civil War: Towards a Theory of Legitimation in Conflict Settings”
- 28 January 2021 – Lars Gjerde, Draft Journal Article: “Sweden and the Coronavirus: A Foucauldian Study of the Swedish Strategy”
- 11 February 2021 – Shubha Prasad, Draft Journal Article: “The Impact of Insurgencies on Economic Integration”
- 25 February 2021 – Ben Mueser, Draft Book Chapter: “Title TBA” (Introductory Chapter)
- 11 March 2021 – Melanie Sauter, Thesis Chapter: “Title TBA” (Theory + Empirical Test)
- 18 March 2021 – Marius Ghincea, Workshop Paper: “Mapping Identity Politics -Bridging the Epistemological Divide.”
- 19 March 2021 - Three First-Year Researchers, Draft Thesis Prospectus
a) Lars Gjerde, “The Politics of Life and Death: A Governmentality Study of the Politics of the Coronavirus Pandemic in Denmark, Norway and Sweden”
b) Liv Moe, “Global Security, Gender Politics and the Countering of Violent Extremism”
c) Selma Kropp, “UN Global Studies on Children’s and Women’s Rights: Creating New Forms of Epistemic Communities?
- 24 March 2021 - Two First-Year Researchers, Draft Thesis Prospectus
a) Mariusz Bogacki: “Scottish, British, European or None of the Above? National Identity among European Union Migrants in Post-Brexit Scotland.”
b) Jan Lepeu: “I Sanction therefore I am: The Symbolic Functions of European Restrictive Measures”
Schedule: First Term, Academic Year 2020-2021
- 1 October 2020 – Jeff Checkel, Conference Paper (APSA): “Research Transparency and Open Science: Can We Have Too Much of a Good Thing?”
- 15 October 2020 – Melanie Sauter, Dissertation: Empirical Chapter, “When Health Security becomes National Security: Violence against Ebola Responders in the DR Congo”
- 29 October 2020 – Wolfgang Minatti, Dissertation: Theory Chapter, “Civilian Agency, Governance and Legitimacy in Civil War: Towards a Procedural Theory of Legitimacy in Conflict Settings”
- 12 November 2020 – Marius Ghincea, Dissertation: Theory Chapter, “A Theory of Identity Change”
- 3 December 2020 – Mariusz Bogacki, Group Discussion: “Identity Formation - In IR Theory and Beyond”
- 17 December 2020 – Jan Lepeu, Dissertation: Theory Chapter: “Beyond the Logic of Coercion: The Normative Aspects of International Sanctions”
Page last updated on 13 April 2021