Home » Services and Admin » Academic Service » Practical Information » Tax Codes, Imports & Vehicles

Tax Codes, Imports and Vehicles


Italian Tax Code (Codice Fiscale)

During your stay in Italy you will need a Tax Code (Codice Fiscale). This is mandatory for Italian and foreign citizens, irrespective of whether you pay Italian taxes or not.

The only valid Codice Fiscale is the one issued by the Italian tax authorities. The Codice Fiscale is free of charge.

The Codice Fiscale identifies a citizen in all dealings with the Italian Public Authorities and Administrations. When living in Italy you will need it to:

  • Open a bank account
  • Buy a car or motor scooter
  • Re-register a vehicle
  • Sign any official contract, e.g. the lease for a flat
  • Take out an Italian insurance policy
  • Sign contracts with the gas, electric and telephone companies (including mobile phones)
  • Ask for a medical check-up invoice
  • Sign any sort of work contract subject to Italian labour law, etc.

How to get a Codice Fiscale

You may obtain your Codice Fiscale either from the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your home country, or apply as soon as you arrive in Florence at the following address:

Agenzia delle Entrate Direzione Provinciale di Firenze (Via Santa Caterina d’Alessandria, 23 50129 Firenze)

Monday to Friday: 8.30‒12.45 on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday also: 14.15‒16.00

Contact: [email protected]

Take a copy of your passport or ID card.  


Imports and Customs

EU citizens

If you want to import personal belongings in Italy there are no particular procedures or formalities to be followed.

There are no restrictions on the importation of personal belongings, electrical goods, computers etc. into Italy, provided the articles were purchased in the EU.

If you bring articles purchased duty-free outside the EU, and for which duty and/or value-added-tax has not been paid in one of the EU states, they will be subject to Italian import duty.

Non-EU citizens

Non EU nationals wishing to import a small quantity of  their personal belongings, including books, are recommended to bring them as “accompanied luggage”.

There are no particular procedures to follow if you want to bring a small quantity of personal effects. You will need your passport (and visa, if required) and a list of the items you are bringing with you.

We strongly advise against shipping your belongings separately. Whatever the quantity, we urge you to bring them with you as accompanied luggage so that you can settle matters personally and directly with customs on arrival in Italy.  As a member of the Institute you are entitled to import your belongings duty-free.

If you wish to import larger amounts of goods you need to formulate a request for duty-free importation:

in order to complete all the formalities, please contact the EUI Welcome Unit well in advance (at least three months):


Page last updated on 15 January 2019