The A1 courses are for new beginners.
EUI language courses are free for EUI PhD and LL.M. researchers, but most other EUI members have to pay a nominal fee. To check course fees click on total hours.
Communication & grammar skills
All EUI members
This course is for new beginners
Time & Place
19 Jan - 11 March
By the end of the course, students will be able
- to use the language of daily routines and interact in basic communicative situations: to introduce themselves, to talk about their interests, preferences, habits, etc.
- to give the most important information about what they do, the reasons they are in Italy
- to talk about various aspects of their country (food, architecture, lifestyles, arts, sport, etc.)
- to read short and simple texts
- to use strategies to find information in materials used in everyday communication (programmes, menus, timetables, advertising, etc.)
- to write simple notes and short messages.
The course includes work on the following
- basic structures of Italian grammar: verbs (present tense), nouns and adjectives, articles, time adverbs, main prepositions (time and place)
- insights into Italian life and culture
- living in Florence: places, markets, museums, parks and gardens, etc.
Learning methods and activities
Activities in class include
- controlled grammatical exercises
- small groupwork
- role play
- peer correction
- individual writing
This description refers to the general content of the A1 level and the teaching methodologies. The specific syllabus for each course covers part of this content according to the number of hours and the needs of the participants.