Home » Services and Admin » Welcome Unit » Documents



Visa Requirements (non-EU/EEA nationals)

We recommend that fellows who are non-EU/EEA nationals check with their local Italian Embassy / Consulate for visa requirements well ahead of their move to Florence.
You can use this tool to check whether you will need a visa.

If a visa is necessary, you will need to apply for it for the full duration of the fellowship at the EUI.

Stefania Bocchi in the Welcome Unit will provide you with a set of documents to support your visa application. You should submit these documents to the Embassy or Consulate when you file your application. Please note that you should apply for a Type D Mission Visa.

Dependent family members (married partners, children) who accompany a fellow must apply for a visa of the same duration. Visa support documents can be provided for dependent family members.

A visa entitles you to enter the Italian territory but NOT to reside in Italy. After arriving in Italy, there are further procedures to complete in order to settle residence obligations.

Please see:

For more info, please contact Stefania Bocchi at the Welcome Unit.

Carta d'Identità (Identity Card) issued by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs 

A special ID card is issued by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Ministero degli Affari Esteri) to:

  • non-Italian staff members of the EUI
  • partners/family members of EUI staff members
  • Fellows staying at least 1 year

The MAE Card exempts you from applying for a Permit of Stay (permesso di soggiorno).

The MAE Card is issued after you are officially registered at the EUI

  • The Academic Service is responsible for the issuance and delivery of MAE Cards for researchers and fellows. For more information, please see this page, or contact Lorenzo Ghezzi
  • The Human Resources Service is responsible for the issuance and delivery of MAE Cards for staff members. For more information, please see this page, or contact [email protected].

Permit of Stay (Permesso di Soggiorno) or Declaration of Presence (Dichiarazione di Presenza)

Who needs a Permesso di Soggiorno:

  • non-EU/EEA fellows who are not in possession of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE) Card
  • non-EU/EEA partners or dependents of a researcher or fellow

Foreign citizens staying in Italy up to 90 days must submit a ‘dichiarazione di presenza' (declaration of presence) within 8 working days of arriving in Italy. For Non-EU/EEA citizens coming from countries that do not apply the Schengen Convention the obligation to make a declaration of presence is satisfied through application of the USV sticker on the travel document at the moment of border control.

Non-EU/EEA citizens staying in Italy for more than 90 days must apply for a ‘permesso di soggiorno’ (permit of stay) within 8 working days of arriving in Italy. 

How to get a 'dichiarazione di presenza' or a 'permesso di soggiorno':

The EUI offers assistance to members and dependents that need to apply for a Permit of Stay or submit a Declaration of Presence. This service is sponsored by the Institute and implemented by an external provider, Eduservices, and includes:

  • Assistance in the submission of the application (either first application or renewal if applicable)
  • Assistance during the first appointment with the relevant Italian authority (Questura di Firenze): applicants will be accompanied by an English and Italian-speaking Eduservices’ representative.

Fees and taxes due to the Italian State are at the expenses of the applicant as well as any additional services provided by Eduservices (if required). Additional costs related to no-shows or severe delays caused by applicants might be charged by Eduservices to applicants.

If you wish to request assistance, please contact directly Eduservices:

To speed up procedures, we also strongly advise you to register with Eduservices before you arrive in Italy:

Residence Registration (Certificato di Residenza)

EU/EEA citizens and non-EU/EEA citizens who are not holding a MAE Card and are staying in Italy for more than 3 months may register their residence with their local town hall registry office (Comune, Ufficio Anagrafe) to obtain a certificato di residenza (residence certificate).

Please contact the Welcome Unit for more information.

Codice Fiscale (Tax Code)

You are advised to apply for a codice fiscale as soon as you arrive in Florence.

You can apply at the Local Revenue Office, Agenzia dell’Entrate, Via S. Caterina d’Alessandria 23 (3rd floor), 50129 Firenze, (Monday to Friday: 8.40-12.40 / Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 14.20-15.40.

Take a copy of your passport or ID card.

You may also be able to apply at an Italian Embassy / Consulate prior to your arrival in Florence.

When living in Italy you will need a codice fiscale to:

  • open a bank account
  • Buy a car or motorino
  • Re-register a vehicle
  • Sign any official contract, e.g. the lease for a flat
  • Take out an Italian insurance policy
  • Sign contracts with the gas, electric and telephone companies (including mobile phones)
  • Ask for a medical check-up invoice
  • Sign any sort of work contract subject to Italian labour law, etc.


Page last updated on 15 January 2019