Global Financial Data
The Global Financial Database provides long-range financial data series on stocks, bonds, bills and other instruments, covering approximately 200 countries from the medieval period to present. EUI members have access to 'GFDatabase' via the first link in the left menu of the GFD homepage.
Financial and economic data series are assigned nine metadata descriptors: series ID; description; start date; end date/most recent; periodicity; country/territory; currency; series type (eg. government bond yields) and GFD sector designation (eg. equity). Main series include:
- Asset Allocation from the 1800s to present
- Commodity data from 1252 to present
- Economic data (general) from the early 1200s to present
- Equities from 1694 to present
- Exchange rates from the 1200s to present
- Fixed income from the late 13th century to present
- Inflation from 1209
- National accounts and GDP from 1790 to present
Market and equity data (1950-present) are accessible via Datastream (Thomson Reuters)
Banking data are available via SNL Financial (S&P)
European company data are available via Amadeus (BvD).
Global Financial Data Inc. provides the following online training resources:
EUI members can access the data as follows:
|First time users of Global Financial Data
||Return users of Global Financial Data
Create an account on the GFD platform using an eui.eu mail address
A unique User Name and Password (case-sensitive) will be assigned via the eui.eu mail account
Enter the User Name (EUI mail address) and GFD Password on the login page (or at 'login' in the top menu)
Access data via GFDatabase at the top of the left menu of the GFD homepage.
Global Financial Data workbooks
To create a workbook on the GFDatabase platform:
- 1. Click ‘Create New’ at the top of the Workbook list
- 2. Enter the name of the new Workbook
- 3. A blank Workbook will appear
- 4. Add data series to the workbook by searching or typing the name of a specific series
- 5. The series will appear in the Selected Data table
- 6. Once all data series have been added, click on the Settings tab to view.
Example of series
||Italy 10-year Government Bond Yield
||Monthly from Nov. 1807 to Nov. 1983; Weekly from Dec. 1983 to Dec. 1988; Daily From Jan. 1989 to Sep. 2016.
||Government Bond Yields
Data collated and provided by GFD has been compiled from diverse archival resources including financial reports, news periodicals, sectoral journals and other publications. "GFD has produced continuous chain-linked data sets by appending the current data series with the historical data which have been verified, cross-referenced and transcribed prior to their inclusion."
For contemporary data series, EUI members can also access these financial and company data resources:
EUI alumni can access GFD on campus.
External Library users do not have access to this resource.
EUI members can also access these related resources:
Contact: Thomas Bourke at email@example.com