No separate grant application is required. The application for admission to the EUI doctoral programme is automatically an application for a national grant.
In addition to the general EUI terms and conditions of eligibility, the following general grant terms and conditions of the Ministry of Education and Employment in Malta apply. Applicants must be a:
- (a) Maltese citizen who has been residing in Malta for the past five (5) years. Provided that a Maltese citizen who has been residing outside Malta for study, health or work purposes or any other purpose which the Tertiary Education Scholarships Scheme Board may consider, will still be eligible to apply and this period of time during which the citizen was abroad will not be taken into consideration for the purpose of calculating the five (5) year requirement;
- (b) Maltese Citizen who is a worker or self-employed person in Malta;
- (c) National of an EU/EEA state or a family member of such EU/EEA national (as -defined in SL460.17 and in SL217.04 respectively for EU and EEA nationals), provided that such person has obtained permanent residence in Malta in accordance with SL460.17 and in SL217.04 respectively for EU and EEA nationals;
- (d) National of an EU/EEA state who is in Malta exercising his/her Treaty rights as a worker, self-employed person or person retaining such status in accordance with SL460.17;
- (e) Third country national that has been granted long-term residence status under SL217.04
The minimum degree requirement for admission to the EUI Ph.D. Programme set by the Maltese grant-awarding authority is:
Master’s degree equivalent to Level 7 on the Malta Qualifications Framework
Candidates who are still in the process of obtaining the minimum qualification required for admission may also submit their application by 31 January, but must achieve the above qualification no later than 31 August.
Grant and Allowances
- Monthly grant: 1,500 EUR for a maximum of 3 years.
- Children allowance: Included in the fixed monthly grant amount, no extra supplement.
- Travel allowance: Included in the fixed monthly grant amount, no extra supplement.
- Insurance allowance: Included in the fixed monthly grant amount, no extra supplement.
The Grant Authority (Malta) provides a monthly grant for the first three years of EUI Ph.D. Programme. The fourth year is covered by the EUI (2020 grant is 1,350 EUR per month, in addition to other allowances).
Ministry for Education and Employment
Great Siege Road, Floriana, VLT 2000, Malta
Telephone: + 356 2598 0000 / 2598 2463
Name: Ms Josette Sant
Strategy and Support Department