Candidates who do not fit in with any other grant programme may be admitted on condition they are able to secure external sponsorship.
- Admission is possible for a limited number of applicants who are able to guarantee external sponsorship.
- Payment of fees and maintenance grant must be through a national or private grant foundation.
- Self-financing candidates are not admitted.
The candidate’s external sponsor is expected to:
- Guarantee sufficient funds (recommended minimum grant 1.380 EUR a month) to support the candidate in Florence during the 4-year programme (48 months).
- If the candidate does not hold the nationality of an EUI contracting state*) pay the EUI annual tuition fees for the entire duration of the programme (4 years). For the 2023-24 academic year the fee is 15.000 EUR (the amount is subject to increase for the following academic years).
If a 4-year funding guarantee is not possible at the time of admission, a minimum requirement of 3 years (36 months) can be applied for admission.
The Principal is authorised to reduce or waive fees for candidates. The EUI is not in a position to give assistance in finding external financial support
(*) EUI Contracting States: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden.
Candidates should select the 'External Funding' option in the Grant authority section of the EUI online application form and indicate the name of the potential sponsor in the justification field of the same form.
Additional details on the sponsorship can be indicated in the ‘Additional Notes’ field of the form.
Need for early decision on admission
Candidates who need to apply for a grant from a government authority or grant foundation that applies a deadline that does not fit into the EUI selection schedule may exceptionally request an earlier decision on admission. In no case can a decision be taken any earlier than the EUI annual deadline for application - 31 January.
Candidates must contact [email protected] and be prepared to supply all details as to why an early answer is necessary. The Institute will examine such requests on a case-by-case basis and will try to assist the applicant within all