Over the course of a successful second year of activities, the European Media and Information Fund (EMIF) has supported 40 projects dedicated to combating disinformation across Europe, and awarded a total of 6.4 million euros.
To highlight the significant role that both the Fund and its granted projects have played, EMIF is hosting its showcase event in Brussels on June the 30th, with a view to presenting its Annual Progress Report, the External Evaluation Report, and showcasing of a diverse choice of its granted projects.
Against the backdrop of the fast-paced developments in Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies and their influence on the information ecosystem, we will focus this year event on the theme "Countering Disinformation in the Age of AI: 2 years of EMIF's impact". In order to facilitate an exchange of information across stakeholders and stimulate a debate on this important theme, we will have invited a number of grantees to show how their projects aim to effectively counter the harmful effects of AI-generated disinformation or, instead, to leverage AI to combat information manipulations online.
Some of the highlighted projects utilise machine learning for social network analysis, providing valuable insights into disinformation networks, while other innovative initiatives employ extended reality (XR) games to enhance public awareness and media literacy among students, equipping them with the skills to detect deep fakes. The following projects will be presented by a consortium member:
- TRUE INFO (EURACTIV Media Network B.V).
- Decoding the Disinformation Playbook (International Press Institute)
- The Disinformation Laundromat (Alliance for Securing Democracy)
- Escape Fake 2.0 (Polycular e.U.)
EMIF-funded project Escape Fake 2.0 will give a demonstration of their XR games throughout the entire event with in a special XR room set-up for attendees to interact with.
For further information on the event please write at [email protected].
Date and Place:
30 June 2023 – 9:00 to 13:00 CET
Press Club Brussels
Rue Froissart 95, 1000 Brussels, Belgium
- 9:00 – 9:30 | Registrations
- 9:30 – 9:50 | Open Discussion: AI, Disinformation, and the Changing Media Landscape, with Siada El Ramly (DOT), Alberto Rabbachin (European Commission), Luca Bertuzzi (Euractiv), and Paolo Cesarini (EMIF)
- 9:50 – 10:25 | EMIF Year 2: Progress, Impact, and Lessons Learned: presentation of EMIF Annual Report (Luis Madureira Pires and Paolo Cesarini) and of the independent Evaluation report (Max Von Abendroth)
- 10:25 – 11:00 | Escape Fake 2.0 presentation and demonstration (Irina Paraschivoiu, Thomas Layer-Wagner, and Cornelia Dürnberger)
- 11:00 – 11:15 | Coffee Break
- 11:15 – 12:30 | Project presentations: Alliance for Securing Democracy,? Euractiv, International Press Institute
- 12:30 – 13:00 | Closing conversation: AI and the Future of Countering Disinformation