Irrespective of the high number of investigations and of legal lawsuits conducted against its activities, it is -probably- the presentation of a yet unreleased report by OLAF, on the 15th of February, that has determined the choice of Mr. Leggeri, its Executive Director, to present his resignation to the Management Board, gathered in extraordinary sessions on the 28-29th of April.
This resignation confirms the existence of thorny issues concerning the operations of the largest EU agency – with a budget of 750 million euros in 2022. On the one hand, Frontex is embedded into a solid rule of law framework, but on the other, it operates under political pressure, in partial disregard of its legal framework.
Roundtable with 5 min. statements by invited participants
Discussion with the audience
· Dr. Luisa Marin, European University Institute
· Prof. Tineke Strik, Member of the European Parliament & Radboud University Nijmegen
· Adv. Omer Shatz, Sciences Po-Paris & Front-Lex
· Prof. Violeta Moreno Lax, Queen Mary University of London
· Dr. Mariana Gkliati, Radboud University Nijmegen
· Dr. Salvo Nicolosi, Utrecht University
· Dr. Florin Coman-Kund, Erasmus University Rotterdam
· Mr. Emilio de Capitani, FREE Group
The Roundtable is organised within the framework of the European Union Horizon 2020 Research and innovation Programme, Marie Sklodowska-Curie grant agreement No 891762.