The Private Law Working Group was established at the EUI in 2009 to promote scholarship on private law in general and European private law in particular. The Working Group is proud to have been and to continue to serve as an intellectual hub where scholars gather to discuss contemporary matters of importance in private law research. The Working Group seeks to cover all areas of private law, in and outside of Europe, including questions on the philosophy of private law, social and environmental justice, consumer law, and adjudication. A series of events, by guest speakers or EUI researchers and faculty, are organised regularly at the Institute to discuss developing research and significant developments in the field.
If you are interested in private law research, please join our mailing list by sending an e-mail to [email protected].
All researchers interested in presenting their research at the Working Group should get in touch at the same address.
The current conveners for the academic year 2022-2023 are Gildelen Aty-Biyo, Victoria Garin Giménez, Carolina Paulesu and Fouad Saleh.
The Working Group is grateful for the support of Professor Martijn Hesselink
Previous Events 2021/2022
- “Rethinking the Instrumentality of European Private Law”, Grigoris Bacharis, Szymon Osmola
- “Three Conceptions of Contractual Consent”, Catherine Valcke
- “Externalities of production in GVCs: An EU consumer perspective”, Rebecca Ravalli
- “Justifying Contract in Europe” by Martijn Hesselink, book launch, discussants: Nikolai Badenhoop, Yane Svetiev, Catherine Valcke
- “Contracting for Process”, David Snyder
- “Decoding Judicial Dialogue”, Folker de Witte, Anna Krisztián, Jaka Kukavica, Nastazja Potocka-Sionek, Mathias Siems and Vasiliki Yiatrou
- “No Man is an Island. Relational Disclosure as a Regulatory Strategy to Advance Consumer Protection Against Microtargeting” Antonio Davola, Ilaria Querci, discussant: Carolina Paulesu
- “The Unfair Contract Terms Directive: Fit for Purpose? An Analysis of Consumer Protection in the Digital Age”, Mateja Durovic, discussant: Agnieszka Jablonowska (Joint event with the European Law Working Group)
- “Islands and the Ocean. Three Models of the Relationship between EU Market Regulation and National Private Law”, Olha Cherednychenko, discussant: Szymon Osmola
- “The Layered Links Model. International Privacy Harmonisation Through Private and Public International Law Hybrids”, Emmanouil Bougiakiotis, discussant: Guillem Gabriel Pizarro
- “Non-mandatory Rules and EU Private Law. Default Rules in EU Private Law”, Mateusz Grochowski
- “Cross-Border Issues of Private Law”, Victoria Garin, Dominik Dworniczak, Guillem Gabriel Pizarro “Private Law in Financial Context”, Folker De Witte, Theodora Kostoula, Vasiliki Yiatrou
- “Contract Interpretation in Investment Treaty Arbitration: A Theory of the Incidental Issue”, Yuliya Chernykh, discussant: Daria Levina (Joint event with the International Economic Law and Policy Working Group)
For more please check out our: