Skip to content
Home » Services and Admin » Real Estate and Facilities Service » Tax codes, imports, and vehicles

Tax codes, imports, and vehicles


Italian tax code (Codice Fiscale)

During your stay in Italy you will need a Tax Code (Codice Fiscale). This is mandatory for Italian and foreign citizens, irrespective of whether you pay Italian taxes or not.

The only valid Codice Fiscale is the one issued by the Italian tax authorities. The Codice Fiscale is free of charge.

The Codice Fiscale identifies a citizen in all dealings with the Italian Public Authorities and Administrations. When living in Italy you will need it to:

  • Open a bank account
  • Buy a car or motor scooter
  • Re-register a vehicle
  • Sign any official contract, e.g. the lease for a flat
  • Take out an Italian insurance policy
  • Sign contracts with the gas, electric and telephone companies (including mobile phones)
  • Ask for a medical check-up invoice
  • Sign any sort of work contract subject to Italian labour law, etc.

How to get a Codice Fiscale

You may obtain your Codice Fiscale either from the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your home country, or by requesting an appointment at the relevant office in Florence when you arrive.  You can request the appointment through this webpage
You can find relevant information and forms here.

 Agenzia delle Entrate Direzione Provinciale di Firenze (Via Santa Caterina d’Alessandria, 23 50129 Firenze)

Contact: [email protected]

Bring the original AND a copy of your passport or ID card.  


Imports and customs

EU citizens

If you want to import personal belongings in Italy there are no particular procedures or formalities to be followed.

There are no restrictions on the importation of personal belongings, electrical goods, computers etc. into Italy, provided the articles were purchased in the EU.

If you bring articles purchased duty-free outside the EU, and for which duty and/or value-added-tax has not been paid in one of the EU states, they will be subject to Italian import duty.


Non-EU citizens

Non-EU nationals wishing to import a small quantity of  their personal belongings, including books, are recommended to bring them as “accompanied luggage”.

There are no particular procedures to follow if you want to bring a small quantity of personal effects. You will need your passport (and visa, if required) and a list of the items you are bringing with you.

We strongly advise against shipping your belongings separately.

Whatever the quantity, we urge you to bring them with you as accompanied luggage so that you can settle matters personally and directly with customs on arrival in Italy.

As a member of the Institute, you are entitled to import your belongings duty-free.

If you wish to import larger amounts of goods, you need to submit a request for duty-free importation.
In order to complete all the formalities, please contact EUI4U well in advance (at least three months):


Buying and/or importing vehicles

Importing a new or used vehicle in Italy

Non-Italian citizens residing abroad can drive a vehicle with foreign license plates for up to 1 year since entering Italy.

If you register your residency in Italy (residenza anagrafica), you must have your vehicle registered and issued with Italian license plates within 60 days of taking up residency. Failing to do so will result in a hefty fine and possible confiscation of the vehicle. (Please note that this information may be subject to change).

For more information on residency registration, please go here.

For more information on vehicle imports, please contact EUI4U


Please note that these procedures and formalities can be very long, complex and costly, in particular for non-EU citizens.


Buying a new or used vehicle in Italy

If you want to buy a new or a second-hand vehicle, you need:

New and used vehicles must be registered. Registration is not free of charge and may be quite expensive.

If you buy a vehicle from a car dealership, they will take care of the registration procedure. All expenses related to the registration of the vehicle must be paid directly to the car dealership.

If you buy a used vehicle from a private citizen, you must contact the ACI (Automobile Club) in order to complete the procedures for registration and transfer of ownership.


ACI Automobile Club di Firenze (central office)

Viale Amendola, 36

50121 Firenze


◆   Ms. Roberta Mugnai

e-mail: [email protected]

tel.: [+39] 055 2486207


◆   Davide Mechi

e-mail: [email protected]

tel.: [+39] 055 2486230



Page last updated on 06 February 2024

Go back to top of the page