The Historical Archives of the European Union (HAEU) has created a new fonds and published the inventory for the European Environment Agency (EEA) and its partnership network the European Environment Information and Observation Network (Eionet).
The EEA is a decentralised agency of the European Union and is headquartered in Copenhagen. It was established by Council Regulation (EEC) No 1210/90 of 7 May 1990, which came into force at the end of 1993. It works in close collaboration with national environmental agencies, and is charged with providing reliable information on the environment to its 32 member and 6 cooperating countries. It also coordinates Eionet.
The records sent with the transfer consist of 32 linear metres of historical archives from 1987 to 2011. They include minutes from the Management Board and Bureau meetings and Scientific Committee meetings; correspondence; reports and publications; and records from Eionet.
The transfer of the EEA archives is in accordance with Council Regulation No. 2015/496 (EU) and the subsequent framework agreement between the European Commission and the EUI, whereby EU institutions are required to deposit their historical archives at the HAEU. The files will be available for consultation according to the 30-years rule.
The deposit from the EEA augments the HAEU’s growing archival collections from decentralised EU agencies, now comprised of archives from the European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training and the European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions. Moreover, alongside holdings from the European Science Foundation and the European Space Agency, it enriches the historical information available concerning the EU’s scientific activities.
Consult the EEA inventory here.