This five-day training programme will engage 17 junior diplomats from the Western Balkans on key topics of EU foreign policy with the aim of strengthening their capacity to analyse, act, and negotiate in today’s globalised world.
It sets the stage on the first day with a broad overview of the changing world of transnational governance and its effects on diplomacy. On the second and the third day the participants will learn about the key instruments, processes, and strategies of EU external action. Special focus will be given to the role that the EU aims to play in different regions of the world, as well as its new global connectivity strategy called the Global Gateway. The final two days are devoted to strategic foresight as a tool that has gained prominence in various issue areas in the EU, including the Common Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP). The participants will learn about this analytical tool and its uses in the EU, look at different examples, and practice its use in a real-world scenario.
The training also aims to build a transnational network among young diplomats of the region, and to connect them with experienced policymakers, analysts, and academics of EU foreign policy.
The junior diplomats were selected by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (funding partner) on the basis of merit and motivation to take part in this training programme.
If you are interested in working with us on a programme tailored to your organisation's needs, you can find more information here.
Download the STG Executive Education Catalogue and receive updates on Executive Trainings offered by the School of Transnational Governance.
- Alexander Stubb, Director, School of Transnational Governance, European University Institute
- Fabrizio Tassinari, Executive Director, School of Transnational Governance, European University Institute
- Miroslav Lajčák, EU Special Representative for the Belgrade-Pristina Dialogue and other Western Balkan regional issues
- Diane Stone, Professor, School of Transnational Governance, European University Institute
- Kenneth Amaeshi, Professor, School of Transnational Governance, European University Institute
- Marco del Panta, Secretary General, European University Institute
- Sabina Lange, Senior Lecturer, European Institute of Public Administration (EIPA)
- Jakov Devcic, European Policy Advisor, CDU/CSU Parliamentary Group, Deutscher Bundestag
- Romana Vlahutin, Special Envoy for Connectivity, European External Action Service (EEAS)
- Alice Ekman, Senior Analyst, European Union Institute for Security Studies (EUISS)
- Mehari Taddele Maru, Professor, School of Transnational Governance, European University Institute
- Florence Gaub, Foresight advisor, European Council