Compulsory Requirements for the Third Year of the Doctoral Programme
- Draft for thesis monitoring session, by 7 January 2021
- Two Thirds of thesis, by 3 May 2021
Third-year researchers have no formal requirement for seminar attendance; they are however strongly encouraged to attend the Advanced Dissertation Writing Seminar in the 1st term and to give at least one presentation in a workshop.
Thesis Monitoring Sessions
The third year is the most demanding in quality and quantity of work and the department organises a thesis monitoring session in which each researcher discusses his/her work in progress with the supervisor and the second reader on 22-25 January 2021. Researchers must plan to be present in Florence for their thesis monitoring session.
For this thesis monitoring session third-year researchers are expected to prepare in advance a draft of the structure of their thesis which will constitute the basis of the discussion. This draft has to be sent to the Departmental Coordinator by 7 January 2021. Besides the self-assessment of the progress of the PhD and the identification of existing problems and challenges, the draft should include an updated table of contents of the thesis and a section on the planned work ahead.
Passage to the Fourth Year: Two-Thirds of the Thesis
By the end of their third year of study, researchers must complete Two Thirds of their thesis in order to become eligible for the fourth-year grant. The electronic file of the Two Thirds of the thesis must be submitted to the Departmental Coordinator by 3 May 2021.
General formatting of Two-Thirds of the thesis
- It is necessary to include a cover page stating the title of the paper, the name of the author and the name of the supervisor and second reader. Please use this cover page template
- It is essential to insert a proper table of contents
- Pages should be numbered throughout the paper
- Graphs, maps and tables should be clear and easy to read
- While proofreading it may be useful to double-check our Brief Guide for Academic English
Page last updated on 12 April 2021