Office 365: Installation and Activation
Microsoft Office is the leading office suite of desktop applications and is available for MS Windows, Mac OS X as well as mobile platform operating systems like Android, iOS (such as on iPads and iPhones), Windows Phone and MS Surface.
- Software Name: MS Office
- Software House: Microsoft
- Applications and Services included: Excel, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word (including online versions where applicable)  as well as 1TB of cloud storage via OneDrive
- License Type: Self Sign Up Office 365 ProPlus Benefit (see Description below for further details)
The self sign up license facilitates provisioning of the software by letting eligible users sign up, download and install the full suite and/or single applications by themselves on personally-owned computers and tablets  without having to fall onto the ICT User Support.
The software can be installed on up to 5 PCs and/or Macs and up to 5 mobile devices (such as iPads, iPhones, Windows and Android phones or tablets).
Installation of Office is allowed for the purposes of research, teaching, and private study (commercial use in NOT allowed) and is restricted to the following cathegories of members of the EUI :
- Academic staff (including Research Associates)
- Administrative Staff
- Retired Staff
Office applications are available on the following platforms:
- MS Windows: Office 2013 and Office 2010 (including Excel, OneDrive for Business, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word)
- Mac OS X: Office 2015 and Office 2011 for Mac (including Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word)
- iOS: Excel, OneDrive for Business, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word
- Android: Excel, OneDrive for Business, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word
The software can be used under the following Terms & Conditions laid out direclty by Microsoft:
The license expires once your affiliation to the EUI ceases however, in order to keep your license alive, you need to activate it at least once every 30 days (see Activation further below for details).
If the software is not already offered to you in your webmail portal, please follow the below steps.
Summary of steps:
- Sign up on Microsoft's Get Office 365 webpage;
- Download and install the software;
- Activate the software.
- Point your preferred browser to the following URL:
- Provide your EUI email address and follow online instructions;
- At some stage you will be asked if you are a Student or a Teacher:
Choose Student if you are a Researcher and Teacher for any other category (Academic and Administrative Staff, Fellows, etc.);
- Once you're account has been verified, you will be redirected to the Webmail/OWA portal: please login using your EUI email address and password (as you would normally do when checking for your mail);
- Read and Accept any Terms and Conditions and Privacy Statment you will be offered;
- The downloadable Office applications (including online versions) available to you will be added to the Software (Settings \ Office 365 Settings \ Software) and Office 365 (upper left corner) section of your Webmail.
Download and Installation instructions vary depending on your platform:
- MS Windows: login to your Webmail as usual, navigate to the Software and/or to the Office 365 section and follow online instructions.
- Mac OS X: login to your Webmail as usual, navigate to the Software and/or to the Office 365 section and follow online instructions.
- Android: install the applications directly from GooglePlay store (please note a Google Account is needed even if the App is free).
- iOS: install the applications directly from the Apple Store (please note an Apple ID is needed even if the App is free).
- MS Windows Phone/Surface: install the applications directly from the Store (please note a Microsoft Account is needed even if the App is free).
Please Note: for support with the download and installation of the software, please check the Support section further below.
Upon starting any application, you will be asked to sign in first: make sure to use your EUI email address and password (NOT your Apple ID, Google Account or Microsoft Account!).
IMPORTANT: to keep your free license activated, you need to launch an Office application (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.) while being connected to the internet at least once every 30 days on each device!
Please Note: ICT Service does NOT provide ANY support for the software neither through its Portable Device Support facility nor through ICT User Support offices!
= software availability depends on platform
= the software is NOT to be installed on EUI computers (both office desktops and laptops)
= The software is not available to Alumni, Partners and Visitors.