Court of Justice of the European Union
The European Court of Justice was set up under the Treaty of Paris (1951) to ensure compliance of Member States with obligations under the Treaty and to deliver the appropriate interpretation and application of the Treaty. Following the Treaties of Rome in 1957, the Court expanded its responsibilities towards the European Economic Community and Euratom and thus, constituted the sole judicial authority for the European Communities.
The historical archives of the Court of Justice have been deposited in Florence in 2014. In respect of the 30 years closure period for historical archives of EU Institutions, the Court’s deposit covers the judicial and the institutional papers from its inception in 1952 up to 1982 and contains the judicial and administrative archives of the Court’s Registrar, with a unique collection of 1.845 procedure files dating from 1952 to 1979, judicial registers, minutes of hearings, 513 original judgments and institutional archives relating to the internal organisation and structure of the Court.
Link to the Fonds:
Legal Service of the European Coal and Steel Community
The Legal Service of the Coal and Steel Community (ECSC) was established soon after the installation of the High Authority in Luxemburg in 1952. The service provided advice for the decisions of the college of the High Authority and its growing responsibilities were reflected in its growth from six members in July 1953 to 11 in the end of 1957. After 1957, the ECSC and the two new Communities used one common Legal Service to apply the treaties in a coherent way. Since the Communities had different seats, branches of the Legal Service were attached to each Commission and soon it was conceived that each branch operated rather independently. The branch of the ECSC remained in Luxemburg under the direction of Robert Krawielicki until he passed away in February 1966. His successor at the ECSC became Walter Much, while Michel Gaudet, since 1958, directed the EEC (and Euratom) branch.
The archives of the Legal Service of the European Coal and Steel Community have been deposited in Florence by the Central Archives of the European Commission as CEAB1 and CEAB4. CEAB1 contains 1.981 paper files, CEAB4 1.438 files. Both collections relate to the application, interpretation and revision of articles of the Treaties of Paris, the juridical status of Community Institutions and their staff, relations with the European Court of Justice and other Institutions of the European Communities, competences of the High Authority, legal questions relating to the functioning of the common market of coal and steel, pooling and concentration, social politics and industrial conversion. CEAB4 also contains a major quantity of files form the Statistics Division of the High Authority.
Links to the Fonds:
Legal Service of the European Commission
No files have so far been deposited in Florence by the Legal Services of the EEC and Euratom Communities and concerning the Legal Service of the Commission after the Merger Treaty of 1967.