Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 5.00 pm
In light of the anti-COVID measures taken by the Italian government and at the European University Institute, the reading room is open to the public at the usual business hours under the following temporary conditions:
1) Users must contact the HAEU prior to their visit and inform the Archives about the provisional date and time of their arrival and departure.
2) A maximum of six users at a time will be admitted in the reading room.
3) Users must wear protective masks at all time in the building and follow the security and safety instructions given by the Service Desk and reading room assistants.
4) We advise users to prepare a list of files for consultation beforehand by searching the HAEU online inventories.
5) Users must comply with the specific conditions for travelling to Italy from abroad, which may be consulted on this page.
To request access to the HAEU reading room, please contact:
Historical Archives of the European Union
European University Institute
Archives Users Service Desk
Villa Salviati, Via Bolognese 156, I - 50139 Florence
Tel: (+39) 055 4685 649, Email: [email protected]
Closing dates 2021
- Winter break: 1 - 6 January
- Easter break: 1– 5 April
- European Day: 10 May
- Summer Closure: 9 - 22 August
- All Saints' Day: 1 November
- Winter closure: 22 – 31 December
One of the main goals of the Historical Archives is to grant to the scholarly community and interested citizens access to EU institutional archives. Specialised staff deliver services to users who wish to consult the archives in a dedicated reading room at Villa Salviati or remotely upon request. All on-site users are requested to apply for admission by compiling an admission form.
The HAEU online database provides access to the inventories of all holdings preserved at the HAEU, as well as to many digital or digitised documents or audiovisual items that are directly available for online consultation after registration on the online platform.
Users requiring further information can contact the Archives service desk electronically or by phone, and can arrange an appointment with the responsible archivist. Upon request, the HAEU also organises visits of the Archives and Villa Salviati, including the archival vaults, the Villa’s gardens and the Grotto.
Rules Governing the Use of the Historical Archives of the European Union in Florence
The policies of the Historical Archives of the European Union are governed by Council Regulation No. 354/83 amended by Council Regulation No. 2015/496 (EU), notwithstanding the application of further legislation and contractual obligations.
The historical archives of EU Institutions are open to the public after a period of 30 years. The citizens’ right to access European Parliament, Council and Commission documents prior to the period of 30 years is ruled by Regulation 1049/2001 of 30 May 2001. Provisions for the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data are laid down in Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016. The data protection rules of the European University Institute are laid in the Decision of the President No.10 of 18 February 2019.
Consult the complete set of rules concerning the access, use, data protection, and reproduction of archival resources of the Historical Archives of the European Union.