Home » Services and Admin » Academic Service » Practical Information » ID Cards, Permits, Visas

ID Cards, Permits, Visas (Information for Researchers and Fellows)

Visas | Non-EU/EEA Nationals

Non-EU/EEA researchers and fellows (staying for at least 12 months) who will be admitted in September and require a Visa to travel to Italy, should file their request for a special Visa (Type D - Mission) with the relevant Italian Embassy/Consulate. The EUI assists researchers and fellows providing them with complete information and issuing special letters of visa support and additional documentation to be presented to the Italian Embassy/Consulate. Non-EU/EEA dependents accompanying researchers or fellows during their stay at the EUI can also receive a letter of visa support from the EUI.

  • Ph.D.and LL.M. Researchers, Jean Monnet and Max Weber Fellows, & Families should contact: [email protected], Admissions Officer.
  • Fernand Braudel Fellows, Visiting Fellows & Families should contact: [email protected], Welcome Unit

A visa entitles you to enter the Italian territory but NOT to reside in Italy. After arriving in Italy, there are further procedures to complete in order to settle residence obligations.

Please see:

Important: To obtain the MAE ID card, non-EU researchers and fellows must hold a ‘Visto di Tipo D, per Missione di lunga durata’.

Further information on Visas for Italy are also available on the website of the Italian ministry of Foreign Affairs (Visas Section) and on the EUI Life In Florence - Information Guide (PDF).

Special ID Card issued by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE Card) | Information for Researchers and Fellows  

Who can obtain the MAE card and how?

  • The special Identity Card issued by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE Card) for members of international intergovernmental organisations is provided to non-Italian registered EUI Ph.D. and LL.M Researchers and Postdoctoral Fellows (staying at least 12 months). It is issued shortly after your arrival: all procedures are directly managed by the EUI Admissions Office in coordination with the Italian Ministry of F.A..
  • Family members of researchers and fellows, visiting researchers or fellows, and all members registered at the EUI for less than one year are not eligible for the special Ministry card. They subsequently must obtain a Normal Permit of Stay. 

What are the purposes and use of the MAE Card?

  • Proves that the holder is a member of an international intergovernmental organisation, such as the EUI.
  • Exempts the holder from having to register his/her residence with the local authorities (Registrazione della Residenza Anagrafica with the Comune) - Please note that you cannot register your residence if you hold a MAE Card.
  • Exempts Non-EU/EEA nationals from applying for a permit of stay (Permesso di Soggiorno) with the Italian authorities. Furthermore, the card - together with a valid passport – entitles non-EU/EEA holders to enter the territory of any Schengen state.
  • The MAE Card can been shown as proof of identity to the police or to other Italian authorities if the need arises.
IMPORTANT: For complete information on the MAE Card, including Application, Renewal and Replacement procedures, please see: Purposes and Use of the MAE Card (PDF). EUI researchers and fellows are kindly reminded that it’s their responsibility to ensure that they are complying with the regulations concerning entry and stay in the territory of the Italian Republic or any other state. The EUI Admissions Office is available for further information and assistance.

How to Travel in the Schengen Area with the MAE Card 

As reported on the reverse side of the document itself, the card - together with a valid passport – entitles the bearer to enter the territory of any Schengen state

In EU countries covered by the Schengen Agreement, the MAE ID card means that you will normally not need a visa for short stays or when in transit. However, we advise you to check with the relevant Embassy/Consulate in Italy before travelling.  Non-EU/EEA nationals, who need to travel in EU countries after they have registered as a researcher/fellow are advised to ask for a declaration from the EUI in Italian, French, German, English or Spanish to clarify that the MAE ID Card substitutes the normal ‘permesso di soggiorno’. This declaration can be shown, along with your IMAE ID card and your valid passport, if you are requested to provide proof of your Italian residence (soggiorno).

The MAE Card cannot be used as a travel document without a valid passport.

For additional information and assistance please contact the Admissions Officer: [email protected].

Permit of Stay for Non-EU citizens (Permesso di soggiorno or Dichiarazione di Presenza)

Permit of Stay/Declaration of Presence are obligatory for:

  • non-EU/EEA researchers and fellows who are not in possess of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE) Card
  • non-EU/EEA partner or dependent of a researcher or fellow
  • non-EU/EEA visiting/exchange student or visiting fellows

Foreign citizens staying in Italy up to 90 days must submit a ‘dichiarazione di presenza' (declaration of presence) within 8 working days after their arrival in Italy. For Non-EU citizens coming from countries that do not apply the Schengen Convention the obligation to make a declaration of presence is satisfied through application of the USV sticker on the travel document at the moment of border control.

Non-EU citizens staying in Italy for more than 90 days must apply for a ‘permesso di soggiorno’ (permit of stay) within 8 working days after their arrival in Italy.


  • Family members of EU citizens who are not EU nationals and are staying longer than 3 months should apply for the EC Long-Term Residence Permit (carta di soggiorno) for family members of EU citizens.


How to get a 'dichiarazione di presenza' or a 'permesso di soggiorno':

The EUI offers assistance to members and dependents that need to apply for a Permit of Stay or submit a Declaration of Presence. This service is sponsored by the Institute and implemented by an external provider, Eduservices, and includes:

  • Assistance in the submission of the application (either first application or renewal if applicable)
  • Assistance during the first appointment with the relevant Italian authority (Questura di Firenze): applicants will be accompanied by an English and Italian-speaking Eduservices’ representative.

Fees and taxes due to the Italian State are at the expenses of the applicant as well as any additional services provided by Eduservices (if required). Additional costs related to no-shows or severe delays caused by applicants might be charged by Eduservices to applicants.

If you wish to request assistance, please contact directly Eduservices:

To speed up procedures, we also strongly advise you to register with Eduservices before you arrive in Italy:

For further information please contact:

Residence Registration - Registrazione della Residenza Anagrafica

EU citizens and non-EU citizens who are not holding a Special ID Card issued by the Italian Ministry of F.A (MAE Card) and are staying in Italy for more than 3 months may register their residence with their local town hall registry office (Comune, Ufficio Anagrafe).

  • For additional information and assistance with the application procedure please contact the Welcome Unit

If you intend to import your vehicle to Florence, please carefully consult: Imports, Customs, Vehicles.

For all MAE Card holders: The ID card issued by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE Card) exempts holders from having to register their residence with the local authorities (Registrazione della Residenza Anagrafica with the Comune). The MAE Card may be used in dealings and transactions where the residence registration is required - Academic Service can provide supporting documentation on this matter. The MAE Card is incompatible with the residence registration and EUI researchers and fellows who intend to register their residence with the local authorities must inform Academic Service and return their MAE Card.





Page last updated on 11 September 2019