Permit of Stay/Declaration of Presence are obligatory for:
- non-EU/EEA researchers and fellows who are not in possess of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE) Card
- non-EU/EEA spouse or dependent of a researcher or fellow
- non-EU/EEA visiting/exchange student or visiting fellows
Foreign citizens staying in Italy up to 90 days must submit a ‘dichiarazione di presenza' (declaration of presence) within 8 working days after their arrival in Italy. For Non-EU citizens coming from countries that do not apply the Schengen Convention the obligation to make a declaration of presence is satisfied through application of the USV sticker on the travel document at the moment of border control.
Non-EU citizens staying in Italy for more than 90 days must apply for a ‘permesso di soggiorno’ (permit of stay) within 8 working days after their arrival in Italy.
- Family members of EU citizens who are not EU nationals and are staying longer than 3 months should apply for the EC Long-Term Residence Permit (carta di soggiorno) for family members of EU citizens.
How to get a 'dichiarazione di presenza' or a 'permesso di soggiorno':
The EUI offers assistance to members and dependents that need to apply for a Permit of Stay or submit a Declaration of Presence. This service is sponsored by the Institute and implemented by an external provider, EduAssistance, and includes:
- Assistance in the submission of the application (either first application or renewal if applicable)
- Assistance during the first appointment with the relevant Italian authority (Questura di Firenze): applicants will be accompanied by an English and Italian-speaking EduAssistance’ representative.
Fees and taxes due to the Italian State are at the expenses of the applicant as well as any additional services provided by EduAssistance (if required). Additional costs related to no-shows or severe delays caused by applicants might be charged by EduAssistance to applicants.
If you wish to request assistance, please contact directly EduAssistance:
To speed up procedures, we also strongly advise you to register with EduAssistance before you arrive in Italy:
For further information please contact: