Home » Services and Admin » Academic Service » Practical Information » Health & Accident Insurance

Health and Accident Insurance for Researchers and Fellows

Medical and accident insurance matters for researchers and post-doctorate fellows are dealt with by the EUI Academic Service.

This page gives researchers, postdocs (Max Weber, Jean Monnet, Fernand Braudel fellows) and all EUI members general information on the medical and accident insurance schemes run by the EUI.


Accident Insurance

The Accident Insurance is an additional, collective policy that the Institute has taken out with Cigna Life Insurance Company NV/Cigna International Health Services BVBA (Policy Nr. 910.K88).

The following EUI active members are, by default, covered world-wide against the risks of accident:

  • Ph.D. or LL.M researchers;
  • Post-doc fellows;
  • STG Fellows
  • Trainees;
  • Visiting researchers and fellows;
  • Visitors;
  • Children at the day childcare center of the EUI

The dependents of the EUI’s active members are NOT eligible for this accident insurance cover. They are advised to take out accident insurance coverage either in Italy or in their country of origin that will be valid for the entire duration of their stay in Italy.

In case of accident, there is a 60-day deadline from the date of the accident within which to complete the Declaration of Accident form and sent it to [email protected], with all relevant documentation issued by the Emergency Service.

Please also notify the Academic Service by sending an email to [email protected]

For further details you may consult: Excerpt of main accident insurance conditions (PDF)

Emergency Hospital Care


European Union citizens in possession of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC in English, or TEAM in Italian) are entitled to receive emergency hospital care paying just a contribution to the Italian National Health Service (NHS), instead of paying the costs in full. The amount of such contribution is calculated according to the severity code assigned by the Emergency Department upon admission. The costs not paid by you are charged to the NHS of your country of origin.

Special agreements with the Italian NHS, providing rights similar to those guaranteed by the EHIC, also exist in some non-EU countries. Non-EU citizens should check if such an agreement exists in their country of origin, and if this is the case, they may ask a certificate of entitlement before coming to Italy. This document will entitle them to receive emergency hospital care under the same conditions as EHIC-holders (see above).

Foreign citizens without EHIC or certificate of entitlement have to pay in full the hospital emergency cares, unless they prove to be under the poverty line and to be in need of urgent and necessary care.

Health Insurance Options


All researchers and post-doctorate fellows must have adequate medical insurance for the duration of their stay at the EUI.

New EUI members who are already covered by a private or state/national insurance will be informed upon registration whether the insurance scheme is adequate in Italy. If it is, they are requested to sign a declaration form.

For anyone who is not already covered by a national or private insurance scheme, there are the following options:


The EUI has taken out a group medical insurance policy with Cigna to which the following EUI active members are eligible to register:

Ph.D. or LL.M researchers;

Visiting researchers;

Post-doc fellows;

Part-time professors;


Dependents of the aforementioned members of the Policyholder’s community and dependents of the Policyholder’s statutory members that are not eligible for JSIS (Joint Sickness Insurance Scheme of the European Institutions) or for an equivalent other insurance cover provided by the funding authorities.

Researchers in receipt of grants from Austria, Belgium, Ireland, Latvia, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Sweden and the United Kingdom are insured against sickness via this group medical policy at the expense of their grant-awarding authority.

For more information, please visit the Cigna Medical Health Insurance page.

  • Registration to the Italian NHS

NB: The information reported below is based on the current Italian NHS subscription guidelines. Please note that this may be subject to updates as the NHS communicates them to us.

1) Subscription through the E106 or S1 model (free of charge)

NB: This normally applies to all the EU member states. Beyond the EU, quite a lot of countries also have bilateral health insurance arrangements with Italy. We recommend you to consult the public health service in your country of origin to see if you qualify for this type of healthcare coverage, possibly before your arrival at the EUI.

The E106 model (also called S1 in some countries) is a document which entitles you to transfer - free of charge – your health insurance rights from your national health system to the Italian one. It can be issued by the public health service in your country of origin under certain conditions, for example:

  • If you have an active job contract in your country of origin (in this case, it is not necessary to be officially resident in Italy).
  • If you are a research student without a scholarship, or you receive a maintenance grant, on condition you are dependent on your family and you are resident in Italy.

E106 (or S1) holders can register by sending a scanned copy of their E106 (or S1) model to [email protected], followed by the original (2 copies) by mail to the following address:

  • Ufficio Aziendale Relazioni con le Istituzioni Estere in materia di Assistenza Sanitaria
  • Via Gramsci 561 50019 – Sesto Fiorentino (FI)

For further details, please consult the information webpage for foreign citizens of the Florence branch of the NHS (only in Italian).

Should you need any assistance please contact Academic Service.

2) Subscription with voluntary contribution:

Important Notes:

  • Before undertaking this kind of enrollment to the NHS, please contact the Academic Service to verify your eligibility and for instructions on how to proceed.
  • The right to health care starts from the day of registration, has the duration of a calendar year (January – December), is not divisible and has no retroactive effect.

aForeign citizens temporary living in Italy for study purposes funded by a maintenance grant (*), may apply to the Italian National Health Service paying a voluntary contribution, provided they meet the appropriate requirements (please contact Academic Service to check).

The student’s enrolment rate is currently fixed at 149,77 EUR per calendar year. Under this special regulation (applying to students only), it is not required to be officially resident in Italy. Non-EU citizens shall submit a copy of their Permit of Stay (or the relevant receipt proving that they have applied for it).

If the student is accompanied by his/her family members (spouse and/or dependent children under the age of 18), the special enrolment rate for students is not applicable. In order to apply, the whole family unit shall pay an annual enrolment rate calculated on a percentage of the annual income perceived in the previous calendar year. The minimum enrolment rate for the student and his/her family unit cannot be less than Euro 387,34 per calendar year. The NHS will make the calculation and let you know the quote

To register, the following documents are required:

  • Copy of national ID or passport
  • For non-EU citizens only: copy of your Permit of Stay (or relevant receipt proving that you have applied for it) or Special ID Card issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • For EU citizens only: an E104 form (i.e. a document showing that you are not covered by a public health insurance system elsewhere) to be requested from the NHS in your country of origin.
  • Certificate of assignment of the tax code, issued by the Tax Agency (Agenzia delle Entrate).
  • Ad-hoc EUI certificate in Italian proving your enrolment as “student” (to be issued by Academic Service upon request)
  • Proof of the payment of the voluntary contribution
  • Registration form (PDF).

The above set of documents shall be sent by email to [email protected]. For further instructions and assistance on how to submit your documents, please contact Academic Service

(*) Students who have subscribed a work contract with their national funding authorities, and therefore receive a salary rather than a grant, do not fall under this regulation. Before applying to the Italian NHS or any other insurance scheme, they should ask the respective employers about their health insurance coverage in Italy (see above: Subscription through the E106 or S1 model)

b.In other cases not falling under the above regulation, it is also possible to register to the Italian NHS paying a voluntary contribution which is calculated on a percentage of income, and cannot be less than Euro 387,34. The payment of the contribution also covers dependents. In this case, it is necessary to be officially resident in Italy. To subscribe under this regulation, EU citizens need to be officially resident in Italy (i.e. having their residence registered at the local Town Hall office - Anagrafe), while for non-EU citizens it is sufficient to be in possession (or to have applied for) a Permit of Stay. 

To register, the following documents are required:

The above set of documents shall be sent by email to [email protected]. For further instructions and assistance on how to submit your documents, please contact Academic Service

Travel and Medical Insurance for Short-term Visitors to the EUI

According to the European Council Decision of 22 December 2003 regarding the requirement to be in possession of travel medical insurance when applying for a short-term or travel visa, ‘applicants must show that they are in possession of adequate and valid individual or group travel insurance to cover any expenses which might arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospital treatment’.

To facilitate short-term Visitors (i.e. visiting the EUI for a few days), the EUI provides an Accident Insurance taken up with the Cigna Company.

For further information please contact [email protected]

USA Complementary Cover

Researchers and fellows going in the USA for a temporary stay due to academic or professional reasons, and who are under the group insurance contract CIGNA 910.K62, can apply –at their own expense- for a Complementary cover under the policy AIG TRAVEL GUARD 9601421.

To subscribe, please contact Cigna directly via [email protected]

Upon receipt of a request for subscription, Cigna will provide you with the policy conditions and an affiliation form. Once Cigna receives the duly completed affiliation form, you will receive a premium request by e-mail and will be subscribed to the policy.


Page last updated on 18 September 2019