GESIS social sciences data archive
The GESIS Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences is a European data archive and research infrastructure provider. GESIS stands for Gesellschaft Sozialwissenschaftlicher Infrastruktureinrichtungen.
The GESIS ZACAT catalogue can be used to locate data series, including:
- Eurobarometer (standard and special topics)
- European Values Study
- Election Studies
- International Social Survey Programme
- Comparative Study of Electoral Systems
- Studies on Eastern Europe
- German General Social Survey (ALLBUS)
- EUDO EU Profiler and euandi EP data
- Childhood and adolescence data
1960s to present, varying by theme, series and country.
- Datasets are indexed in the GESIS ZACAT catalogue
- Conditions of access and use are explained on this GESIS page
- Create a GESIS login to access data
- Note: Users registered before May 2020, must create a new login due to enhanced platform security.
The GESIS Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences maintains a Metadata for Official Statistics Support Portal for European micro data. Detailed metadata and documentation for European micro datasets are available.
The service is part of MISSY - the GESIS Microdata Information System - providing support for users of European micro data.
“MISSY pools a broad spectrum of metadata in one centralised resource. This includes information on series, such as access conditions or details on data collection in participating countries, as well as detailed information on variables such as frequencies, filter information or question wordings... Users can choose between systematic accesses via a series, the variable-over-time matrix which lists the availability of variables in table form or a thematically sorted access to all studies. Additionally selected variables can be visualised in a comparison table.”
Contact: Thomas Bourke at [email protected]