UK Data Service and Archive
The UK Data Service and archive, associated with the University of Essex, is a large-scale repository of social science and economic data. EUI members should read the special access procedures for non-UK based researchers at 'How to access data' below.
The UKDS provides access to data from four Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) services: the Economic and Social Data Service (ESDS), the Secure Data Service, the Survey Question Bank and the ESRC Census Programme.
A directory of economic datasets provided by the UKDS is at this link.
Major UKDS studies include: Understanding Society; UK Crime Survey; Social Attitudes Survey; Living Costs and Food Survey; Family Expenditure Survey; General Lifestyle Survey; National Food Survey; National Travel Survey; Time Use Survey; Vital Statistics for England and Wales, and National Child Development Study.
EUI members have access to micro data provided by the UKDS. (For macroeconomic data, EUI members should visit the Library's Macroeconomic Data Directory).
The UKDS platform provides a searchable catalogue of data series, supporting documentation and user guides. After registration, data can be located via the Data Catalogue.
- Coverage ranges from the 1960s to present, varying by series and theme
- The data platform is constantly updated.
EUI members can access data as follows:
- Complete the online registration form for non-UK based researchers
- Username and password are issued by email
- Use username and password to log in (top right of any UKDS page)
- [The password can be changed]
- Select 'UK Data Archive' as organisation
- Complete the online registration form
- Agree to the End User Licence
- For assistance write to the email address below.
Contact: Thomas Bourke at [email protected]
Page last updated on 03 November 2021