UK Data Service and Archive
The UK Data Service and archive, associated with the University of Essex, is a large-scale repository of social science and economic data. EUI members should read the special access procedures for non-UK based researchers at 'How to access data' below.
The UKDS provides access to data from four Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) services: the Economic and Social Data Service (ESDS), the Secure Data Service, the Survey Question Bank and the ESRC Census Programme. A directory of economic datasets is at this UKDS link.
Major UKDS series include: Understanding Society; UK Crime Survey; Social Attitudes Survey; Living Costs and Food Survey; Family Expenditure Survey; General Lifestyle Survey; National Food Survey; National Travel Survey; Time Use Survey; Vital Statistics for England and Wales, and National Child Development Study.
(For macroeconomic data, EUI members should visit the Library's Macroeconomic Data Directory).
The UKDS platform provides a searchable catalogue of data series, supporting documentation and user guides. After registration, data can be located via the Data Catalogue.
- Coverage ranges from the 1960s to present, varying by series and theme
- The data platform is constantly updated.
EUI members can access UKDS data as follows:
- Go to the UKDS registration page for non-UK based researchers
- Click on 'Apply for a username using this online form'
- Tick the box: 'My organisation is not listed'
- Enter email address. A one-time code will be sent
- Enter the code in the field indicated
- Follow the instructions to complete registration
- Log in via the icon at the top right of any UKDS page.
Contact: Thomas Bourke at [email protected]
Page last updated on 25 October 2023