German SOEP - Socio-Economic Panel (DIW)
The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP) is a longitudinal survey of approximately 11,000 private households in the Federal Republic of Germany from 1984 to 2019 and the eastern German länder from 1990 to 2019 (release April 2021). The database is produced by the Deutsches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (DIW), Berlin.
Variables include household composition, employment, occupation, earnings, health and satisfaction indicators.
Wave 36 of the German Socio-Economic Panel was released in April 2021. Information about the update is on this DIW support page.
- German SOEP Wave 36 was released in April 2021
- Coverage is from 1984 to 2019.
DIW Berlin provides a Guide to German SOEP at this link.
Information about methodology and variables is available in German and English.
Regular updates about the survey, international workshops, related literature and funding opportunities are published in the German SOEP newsletter.
Paneldata - the support site for information about variables provides "labels and central case numbers, including unweighted frequency distributions, as well as the associated variables in the longitudinal section (item correspondence list)."
Research papers based on the data are listed on this DIW page.
Current EUI members can access German SOEP data as follows:
- Complete the Library's Micro Data Registration Form (selecting 'G-SOEP' from the dropdown menu)
- The Library sends a DIW 'addendum' form as an email attachment to the data requestor
- The form is signed, dated and returned to [email protected] for counter-signature
- The Library sends the form to DIW, Berlin
- Following registration, are given access to the restricted server and provided with a password.
Please read, and abide by, the terms and conditions of use for licensed data resources.
Selected indicators are also available for download via SOEPmonitor.
PanelWhiz is a collection of German SOEP-compatible Stata/SE® add-on scripts, developed by John Haisken-DeNew.
Contact: Thomas Bourke at [email protected]
Page last updated on 26 April 2021