German SOEP - Socio-Economic Panel (DIW)
The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP) is a longitudinal survey of approximately 15,000 private households in the Federal Republic of Germany from 1984 to 2021 and the eastern German länder from 1990 to 2021 (release 2023). The survey is undertaken by the Deutsches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (DIW), Berlin. Variables include household composition, employment, occupation, earnings, health and satisfaction indicators.
- German SOEP Wave 38 was released in July 2023
- Core coverage is from 1984 to 2021.
DIW Berlin provides a Guide to German SOEP at this link.
Information about the German SOEP Innovation Sample is at this link.
Information about methodology and variables is available in German and English.
Regular updates about the survey, international workshops, related literature and funding opportunities are published in the German SOEP newsletter.
Paneldata - the support site for information about variables - provides "labels and central case numbers, including unweighted frequency distributions, as well as the associated variables in the longitudinal section (item correspondence list)."
Research papers based on the data are listed on this DIW page.
Current EUI members can access German SOEP data as follows:
- Complete the Library's Micro Data Registration Form (selecting 'G-SOEP' from the dropdown menu)
- The Library sends the requestor a DIW contract addendum as an email attachment
- The form is signed, dated and returned to [email protected] for counter-signature
- The Library sends the form to DIW, Berlin
- Following registration, users are given access instructions and a password.
(Non-EUI members should consult the access instructions on this DIW page.)
Please read, and abide by, the terms and conditions of use for licensed data resources.
Selected indicators are also available for download via SOEPmonitor.
PanelWhiz is a collection of German SOEP-compatible Stata/SE® add-on scripts, developed by John Haisken-DeNew.
Contact: Thomas Bourke at [email protected]
Page last updated on 20 July 2023