Datastream (Thomson Reuters)
Datastream is a global financial and macroeconomic data platform providing data on equities, stock market indices, currencies, company fundamentals, fixed income securities and key economic indicators for 175 countries and 60 markets. Datastream is available via EUI desktops:
- Start > Programmes > Datastream
- Datastream can also be accessed directly via an Excel add-in (instructions below).
The Datastream Infobase - accessible on the right side of the main interface - provides series updates, methodology changes, Excel matrix examples and details of new data releases.
The Datastream Factsheet (March 2019) provides an overview of platform features.
Datastream is published by Thomson Reuters / Refinitiv.
- Equity data is from initial public offering (IPO) to 2019, updated daily
- Macro time series in the 'Economics' section are monthly, quarterly and annual, with up to 60 years' coverage.
The Datastream Factsheet provides an overview of platform features.
First-time users should consult the Datastream 'Getting Started' manual.
The Datastream training site provides manuals and step-by-step videos:
- Datastream key features' overview
- Datastream Navigator series' finder
- Datastream charting features
- Creating customised indices.
Access Datastream via EUI desktops:
Datastream is installed at these campus locations:
- All desktops in the Economics Department (Villa La Fonte)
- 8 desktops on the garden floor of the Badia Library
- 2 desktops in the LIB 338-650 room, entry-level floor, Badia Library
- 7 desktops in the EDC/Law area, upper floor, Badia Library, and one machine in the law reading room
- All desktops in Max Weber Programme offices
- Professors and Fellows can request installation of Datastream on their office desktops. Please write to [email protected]
There is no laptop access and no off-campus access to Datastream. Idle sessions are timed out after 15 minutes (not applied to running downloads).
EUI users of Datastream also have access to these Library resources:
- S&P Global Market Intelligence (Standard & Poor's) banking and financial database covering public and private banks worldwide
- Global Financial Data (GFD Corp. / Finaeon) providing long-range financial data series on stocks, bonds, bills and other instruments, covering approximately 200 countries from the early modern period to present.
- Amadeus (BvD / Moody's Analytics) database of comparable financial and business information on Europe's largest 520,000 public and private companies by total assets. 43 countries are covered.
Datastream can also be accessed directly from Excel on EUI desktops. This is useful for adding new data to existing project worksheets.
- Open Excel from Start > Programmes on an EUI desktop computer
- Click on the 'Datastream' tab in the Excel top-bar (upper right)
- Click on the red icon (upper right) which will turn green. (If the icon does not turn green; write to [email protected] because some machines may require EUI Administrator installation of the add-in)
- Select an option (eg. 'Time Series Request' or 'Static Request')
- Click 'Submit'
- Excel file is populated.
The Excel add-in is explained on p.7 of the Datastream 'Getting Started' manual.
(If the following message appears: "Please check 'Trust access to Visual Basic Project' to inject the macro" - users should click on 'File' in the Excel top-tab > Options > Trust Centre > Trust Centre Settings > Macro settings > Tick 'Trust access to VBA project object model' > OK.)
Contact: Thomas Bourke at [email protected]