Dow Jones Factiva news and company data
Dow Jones Factiva is a digital archive of global news content, covering 18,000 sources from 159 countries in 22 languages.
In addition to news content, the Factiva Companies-Markets database provides five years of headline economic data. (EUI members requiring longer data series should use the Library resources listed in the 'Time period' section below.)
Users of Factiva Dow Jones can locate, elaborate and export data on single companies, or a selection of companies, by peer group. The database also provides news items about companies, and tracks changes in company structure over time. Filings' reports for public companies include balance sheets, cash flow data, income statements, geographical location information and key ratios. Custom reports can be generated in the Snapshot feature - including news, key developments and financial information.
In addition to economic and financial statistical data, quantitative trend analysis can be performed on news item search results. A key-term frequency graphic is available at the upper left of the search results’ screen. The free text search function, and Boolean Operators, are explained in this guide. The Factiva left menu allows the delimitation of news content by time period; by language; and by category (eg. newspapers, newswires, industry publications, websites and company reports). Other economic news resources are listed on this Library page.
The Factiva Companies/Markets' database provides five years of time series. For longer series, EUI members should use these resources:
- Datastream (Refinitiv / LSEG) is a global financial and macroeconomic time-series database, providing data on equities, stock market indices, currencies, company fundamentals, fixed income securities and key economic indicators for 175 countries and 60 markets. Equity data from IPO to present is updated daily. Macroeconomic time series are monthly, quarterly and annual, with up to 60 years of coverage. Datastream is published by Refinitiv, a subsidiary of the London Stock Exchange Group plc.
- Global Financial Data (GFD Inc.) provides long-range historical financial data on stocks, bonds, bills and other instruments, covering approximately 200 countries from the early modern period to the present.
- Capital IQ Pro (S&P) provides data on banks, insurance companies, financial institutions and financial markets worldwide. Coverage includes ownership information, market analysis, filings, financial statements, mergers and acquisitions' data and sectoral news.
- Amadeus (Bureau van Dijk/Moody's Analytics) is a database of comparable financial and business information on Europe's largest 560,000 public and private companies by total assets. 43 countries are covered.
- Compustat (S&P) provides financial information on over 28,000 U.S. and Canadian publicly-held companies from the 1950s to present. The database includes a wide range of income, balance sheet, flow of funds and supplemental data, across 340 annual and 120 quarterly items, with point-in-time snapshots from 1987 to present.
Enter Factiva via this EUI Library Catalogue link.
- Click on the 'Companies-Markets' tab at the upper right of the top-bar
- The 'Get Company Snapshot' and the 'Quick Company Selector' will open
- Search for a company using a company name or metadata
- 'Company Snapshot' provides an overview of fundamentals
- 'News' and 'Key Developments' can be accessed for media coverage and key structural changes over time
- 'Peer Comparison' facilitates comparisons between listed comparison by type (up to 100 peers)
- 'Financial Results' provides filings reports for public companies, including balance sheets, cash flow, income statements, geographic segment breakdown and key ratios
- Custom reports can be generated from contents in the 'Snapshot' resource, including news, key developments and financial information
- Market data charts, and comparative company charts, can be generated with up to ten variables.
Contact: Thomas Bourke at [email protected]
Page last updated on 25 October 2021