Banking data: S&P Global Market Intelligence
The Standard and Poor's Global Market Intelligence platform provides data on banks, financial institutions and markets worldwide. Coverage includes ownership information, market analysis, filings, financial statements, mergers and acquisitions' data and sectoral news.
The top search-box locates information on S&P financials; corporate structure; key developments; people (titles/roles); ownership; estimates; takeover defense and corporate governance.
Users can set up news alerts via the 'News' tab in the top-bar > 'My News.'
S&P Global Market Intelligence is published by Standard and Poor's.
- Data coverage for European banks is up to 15 years
- Coverage for North America is up to 30 years
- Data coverage for banks in emerging markets averages five years.
- On-platform S&P support is via:
- Click ? at the top right of the landing page
- Click 'Online Help'
- Select (eg.) 'Market Intelligence Platform: Overview' or other web-casts
- An overview of the platform is at this link.
|First time EUI users of S&P Global Market Intelligence
||Returning EUI users of S&P Global Market Intelligence
- Go to the S&P Global Market Intelligence link in the EUI Library catalogue
- When the S&P homepage opens, click the 'Register' tab
- Enter EUI mail account
- An activation message is sent to the EUI address
- Open the email and click on the link
- Complete the registration form
- A second link is sent by email
- Click on the link and set a password
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions by ticking in the box provided
- Complete the registration process. Under Profile, indicate a preference (eg. 'Banking Sector-Focused User') and under Industry, choose a sector (eg. 'Banking')
- Click Next
- A new screen opens. Other topics and settings (eg. time-zone) can be selected.
- Go to the S&P proxied link
- When the S&P homepage opens, click the 'Sign In' tab
- Enter the EUI mail and the password used at registration.
Example of European banking data download
- Click Apps at top left of the S&L homepage
- Select Screener (drop-down menu)
- Click (eg.) Company data in the grey top menu
- Select (eg.) Companies (classic) in left menu
- Make selections:
- Geography > (eg.) ‘Europe’ at right dropdown menu
- Industry > ‘Banking’
- Operating status > ‘Operating companies’ and/or ‘Acquired/defunct companies’
- Ownership status > ‘Listed’ and ‘Non-Listed’
- Coverage depth > ‘Full’ and ‘Summary’
- Consolidation status > ‘Consolidated’ and/or ‘Unconsolidated’
- Click Run screen.
Excel 'short-cut' to S&P Global Market Intelligence
S&P Global Market Intelligence can also be accessed directly from the Excel ribbon on researcher desktops at Villa La Fonte. (Other EUI members should write to [email protected] to request local installation of the S&P Excel add-in.)
S&P Office is an Excel add-in that allows users to download data directly from S&P Global Market Intelligence into MS Excel workbooks.
- Open Excel from Start > Programmes on an EUI desktop computer
- Click on the 'SNL' tab at the upper right of the top menu.
Managing news alerts
The S&P Global Market Intelligence platform generates daily news alerts. These alerts are generated from the profile selections made during registration (sectoral interests, geographical location &c.).
To update - or discontinue - news alerts:
- Go to News in the top-bar of the S&P homepage
- Go to Alerts at right of page
- Select / de-select:
- Basic information: sector / geographical region
- News and Industry research filters
- Documents and Filings filters
- Events filters
- Transcripts filters
- Key Developments filters
- Click Save.
Related EUI data resources
EUI members also have access to these related resources (see the Library Data Portal for full index):
- Datastream (Refinitiv) global financial and macroeconomic platform covering equities, stock market indices, currencies, company fundamentals, fixed income securities and key economic indicators for 175 countries and 60 markets
- Global Financial Data (GFD Corp./Finaeon) providing long-range financial data series on stocks, bonds, bills and other instruments, covering approximately 200 countries from the early modern period to present
- Amadeus (Bureau van Dijk / Moody's Analytics) database of comparable financial and business information on Europe's largest 550,000 public and private companies by total assets. 43 countries are covered.
EUI members can access S&P Global Market Intelligence off campus.
Non-EUI members to do not have access to S&P Global Market Intelligence.
Contact: Thomas Bourke at [email protected]