Banking data: S&P Global Market Intelligence
The Standard and Poor's Global Market Intelligence platform provides data on banks, investment banks, private equity firms, broker dealers and financial markets worldwide. Coverage includes ownership information, market analysis, filings, financial statements, mergers and acquisitions' data and sectoral news. The EUI subscribes to the S&P Market Intelligence Financial Institutions Group (MIFIG) dataset.
The top search-box locates information on S&P financials; corporate structure; key developments; people (titles/roles); ownership; estimates; takeover defense and corporate governance.
S&P provides an Excel Template Library for ease of data extraction to Excel:
- Landing page
- Apps (upper left menu)
- Excel Template Library (in the second column of Apps full menu).
Users can set up news alerts via the 'News' tab in the top-bar > 'My New.'
From August 2021, the 'Market Intelligence' brand will become 'Capital IQ Pro.'
EUI members can access Compustat by following the instructions on this Library page.
- Data coverage for European banks is up to 15 years
- Coverage for North America is up to 30 years
- Data coverage for banks in emerging markets averages five years.
S&P documentation is available as follows:
- Click ? at the top right of the Market Intelligence landing page
- Click 'Online Help' (It may be necessary to log in again)
- Select (eg.) 'User Guides' > 'Quick Reference Guides'
- An overview of the platform is on this page
- S&P provides an Excel Template Library for ease of data extraction to Excel: Landing page > Apps (upper left menu) > Excel Template Library (in the second column of Apps full menu).
|First time EUI users of S&P Global Market Intelligence
||Returning EUI users of S&P Global Market Intelligence
- Go to this S&P link
- Enter the EUI mail address
- Enter the password created at registration.
Example of European banking data download
- At the top left of the S&P GMI homepage; click the Apps drop-down
- Select Screener (top of second column of drop-down menu)
- The Screening and Analytics screen will open
- Click (eg.) Company data in the grey top menu
- Select (eg.) Companies(classic) in left menu
- Make selections. This example is for European banking sector data:
- Company - leave blank (unless searching for single or multiple companies)
- Geography - eg.: ‘Europe’
- Industry - eg.: ‘Banking’
- Operating status - ‘Operating companies’ and/or ‘Acquired/defunct companies’
- Ownership status - ‘Listed’ and/or ‘Non-Listed'
- Coverage depth - ‘Full’ and/or ‘Summary'
- Consolidation status - ‘Consolidated’ and/or ‘Unconsolidated'
- Click RUN SCREEN.
- Place the cursor in the Add Criteria field. The BROWSE ALL link appears
- Click BROWSE ALL
- Select the variables required
- eg.: Financials > Liquidity > Liquidity Assets/Liabilities
- Select parameters in the right column (Period Type; Period; Reporting Basis)
- Click Apply
- Click Export at upper right, selecting (eg.) 'Results as Table Function.'
Excel 'short-cut' to S&P Global Market Intelligence
S&P Global Market Intelligence can also be accessed directly from the Excel ribbon on researcher desktops at Villa La Fonte. (Other EUI members should write to [email protected] to request local installation of the S&P Excel add-in.)
S&P Office is an Excel add-in that allows users to download data directly from S&P Global Market Intelligence into MS Excel workbooks.
- Open Excel from Start > Programmes on an EUI desktop computer
- Click on the 'SNL' tab at the upper right of the top menu.
Managing news alerts
The S&P Global Market Intelligence platform generates daily news alerts. To update - or discontinue - news alerts:
- Go to News in the top-bar of the S&P homepage
- Click My News
- Click Create Alert at the right side of the 'My News' page.
- Make selections and save.
Non-EUI members to do not have access to S&P Global Market Intelligence.
Related EUI Library resources
- Compustat (S&P) provides financial information on over 28,000 U.S. and Canadian publicly-held companies from the 1950s to present. The database includes a wide range of income, balance sheet, flow of funds and supplemental data, across 340 annual and 120 quarterly items, with point-in-time snapshots from 1987 to present.
- Datastream (Refinitiv) is a global financial and macroeconomic platform providing data on equities, stock market indices, currencies, company fundamentals, fixed income securities and key economic indicators for 175 countries and 60 markets. Equity data from IPO to present is updated daily. Macroeconomic time series are monthly, quarterly and annual, with up to 60 years of coverage.
- Amadeus (Bureau van Dijk/Moody's Analytics) is a database of comparable financial and business information on Europe's largest 560,000 public and private companies by total assets. 43 countries are covered.
- Global Financial Data (GFD Inc.) provides long-range historical financial data on stocks, bonds, bills and other instruments, covering approximately 200 countries from the early modern period to the present.
Contact: Thomas Bourke at [email protected]
Page last updated on 01 July 2021