International Debt Statistics (World Bank)
International Debt Statistics (IDS) is the World Bank's database on the external debt and financial flows (debt and equity) providing over 200 indicators for 123 countries in the World Bank's debtor reporting system. Data is from 1970 to present. The database combines observations from 'Quarterly External Debt Statistics' and 'Quarterly Public Sector Debt' published by the World Bank. (IDS was formerly known as 'Global Development Finance.')
The IDS database is updated annually with a narrative of trends, and tables summarising capital flows and debt statistics for reporting countries.
The World Bank Data Portal provides major economic development series including; World Development Indicators; Millennium Development Indicators; Education Statistics; Gender Statistics and other series.
- International Debt Statistics coverage: 1970–present
- Scheduled debt service payments on existing commitments are provided to 2024.
IDS is accessed via the World Bank Data portal.
The World Bank has issued this caveat: "The economic aggregates presented in the tables are prepared for the convenience of users. Although debt indicators can give useful information about developments in debt-servicing capacity, conclusions drawn from them will not be valid unless accompanied by careful economic evaluation. The macroeconomic information provided is from standard sources, but many of them are subject to considerable margins of error, and the usual care must be taken in interpreting the indicators. This is particularly true for the most recent year or two, when figures are preliminary and subject to revision."
EUI members also have access to these related resources:
- Amadeus (Bureau van Dijk / Moody's Analytics) is a database of comparable financial and business information on Europe's largest 560,000 public and private companies by total assets. 43 countries are covered.
- Capital IQ Pro (S&P) provides data on banks, insurance companies, financial institutions and financial markets worldwide. Coverage includes ownership information, market analysis, filings, financial statements, mergers and acquisitions' data and sectoral news.
- Compustat (S&P) provides financial information on over 28,000 U.S. and Canadian publicly-held companies from the 1950s to present. The database includes a wide range of income, balance sheet, flow of funds and supplemental data, across 340 annual and 120 quarterly items, with point-in-time snapshots from 1987 to present.
- Datastream (Refinitiv / LSEG) is a global financial and macroeconomic time-series database, providing data on equities, stock market indices, currencies, company fundamentals, fixed income securities and key economic indicators for 175 countries and 60 markets. Equity data from IPO to present is updated daily. Macroeconomic time series are monthly, quarterly and annual, with up to 60 years of coverage. Datastream is published by Refinitiv, a subsidiary of the London Stock Exchange Group plc.
- Global Financial Data (GFD Inc.) provides long-range historical financial data on stocks, bonds, bills and other instruments, covering approximately 200 countries from the early modern period to the present.
Contact: Thomas Bourke at [email protected]
Page last updated on 03 December 2021