Skip to content
Home » Services and Admin » Real Estate and Facilities Service » Visas and residence permits

Visas and residency permits


Visas (non-EU/EEA Nationals)

Non-EU/EEA fellows who equire a visa to travel to Italy, should file their request for a special Visa (Type D - Mission) with the relevant Italian Embassy/Consulate. The EUI assists fellows providing them with complete information and issuing special letters of visa support and additional documentation to be presented to the Italian Embassy/Consulate.


Non-EU/EEA dependents (spouse/children) accompanying fellows during their stay at the EUI may also receive a letter of visa support from the EUI: Please contact the relevant officer for complete information.

  • Jean Monnet, Max Weber Fellows,Fernand Braudel, Policy Leaders, YALPS, Robert Schuman Fellows, Visiting Fellows & Families should contact Julia Valerio (EUI4U Welcome) [email protected]

A visa entitles you to enter the Italian territory but NOT to reside in Italy. After arriving in Italy, there are further procedures to complete in order to settle residence obligations.

Please see:

Important: To obtain the MAE ID card, non-EU fellows must hold a ‘Visto di Tipo D, per Missione di lunga durata’.

Further information on Visas for Italy are also available on the website of the Italian ministry of Foreign Affairs (Visas Section) and on the EUI4U Welcome - Life In Florence - Practical Information booklet for EUI Newcomers (PDF).


Permit of Stay for Non-EU/EEA citizens (Permesso di soggiorno or Dichiarazione di Presenza)


Permit of Stay/Declaration of Presence are required for:

  • non-EU/EEA fellows who are not eligible for the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE) Card
  • non-EU/EEA spouse or dependent of a fellow
  • non-EU/EEA visiting fellows

Foreign citizens staying in Italy up to 90 days must submit a ‘dichiarazione di presenza' (declaration of presence) within 8 working days after their arrival in Italy. For Non-EU citizens coming from countries that do not apply the Schengen Convention the obligation to make a declaration of presence is satisfied through application of the USV sticker on the travel document at the moment of border control.

Non-EU citizens staying in Italy for more than 90 days must apply for a ‘permesso di soggiorno’ (permit of stay) within 8 working days after their arrival in Italy.

Family members of EU citizens who are not EU nationals and are staying longer than 3 months should apply for the EC Long-Term Residence Permit (carta di soggiorno) for family members of EU citizens.


How to get a 'dichiarazione di presenza' or a 'permesso di soggiorno'

The EUI offers assistance to members and dependents that need to apply for a Permit of Stay or submit a Declaration of Presence. This service is sponsored by the Institute and implemented by an external provider, Italy4You, and includes:

  • Assistance in the submission of the application (either first application or renewal if applicable)
  • Assistance during the first appointment with the relevant Italian authority (Questura di Firenze): applicants will be accompanied by an English and Italian-speaking Italy4You representative.

Fees and taxes due to the Italian State are at the expenses of the applicant as well as any additional services provided by Italy4You (if required). Additional costs related to no-shows or severe delays caused by applicants might be charged by Italy4You to applicants.

If you wish to request assistance, please contact directly Italy4You:

Dott.Vittorio Careri email.

For further information, please email [email protected]


Residency Registration (Registrazione della Residenza Anagrafica)

EU citizens and non-EU citizens who are not holding a Special ID Card issued by the Italian Ministry of F.A (MAE Card) and are staying in Italy for more than 3 months may register their residency with their local town hall registry office (Comune, Ufficio Anagrafe).

  • For additional information and assistance with the application procedure please contact [email protected]

For all MAE Card holders: The ID card issued by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE Card) exempts holders from having to register their residency with the local authorities (Registrazione della Residenza Anagrafica with the Comune). The MAE Card may be used in dealings and transactions where the residency registration is required - Academic Service can provide supporting documentation on this matter. The MAE Card is incompatible with the residency registration and EUI researchers and fellows who intend to register their residency with the local authorities must inform Academic Service and return their MAE Card).


Page last updated on 28 February 2024

Go back to top of the page