Software provided by the ICT Service and already available at the EUI is made available to Administrative and Academic staff ONLY.
No software is made available to Alumni, Guests, Partners, Retired staff or Visitors of any kind (Visiting Researchers, Fellows and Professors) other than the software already installed on the EUI computers they may be granted access to.
Depending on license agreements and on the affiliation of the user, software available to staff is delivered at no cost or at the user's (or Project's) expense at the conditions detailed further below.
Software not yet available at the EUI is procured at ICT Service's budget or at the user's/Project's/Department's budget (lump sum, project funds, prestation hors contract, etc.), i.e. from any non-ICT Service source of funding, at the conditions detailed below:
- Two standard software configurations consisting of a baseline software model (one for Research and one for Staff) for office automation are installed on all standard EUI desktop PCs. These are made available at no cost .
- On top of the above, a suite of standard research-oriented software applications is or can be made available at no cost depending on the affiliation of the user (see details further below).
- Microsoft Windows operating system is available at no cost only on EUI desktops and EUI laptops  and in any case NOT available for personally-owned equipment, independently on the affiliation of the user.
- Office automation software (Microsoft Office, both Windows or Mac version) is already installed on all EUI computers and available at no cost only to some categories of users.
- The ICT Service normally delivers campus-wide one type of each kind of research-oriented software (bibliography management, statistical analysis, etc.) on its EUI desktop PCs. This software may or may not already be installed depending on the configuration in use (Staff or Research).
- Research software for which specific distribution agreements do exist (i.e. campus license, unlimited licenses, etc.), is made available at no cost to Academic and Administrative staff. For some software this covers personally-owned laptops as well.
- As a general rule, Research software for which restrictions do exist (such as concurrent license, network license, etc.), is normally made available at no cost ONLY to categories of users without EUI funding, i.e. Researchers, Fellows, Visiting and Administrative Staff. For some software this covers personally-owned laptops as well.
- Research software products with particular licensing conditions (e.g. single machine and/or single user rather than networked campus) and/or which do not fall in the above, are bought at the user's (or Project's) expense.
- Software needs are collected on a yearly basis through a specific Survey (launched in spring) and assessed by the Dean of Research together with the Departments, Reps and ICT Service at the earliest ICT/Library Committee (also including identifying tools to facilitate research digitisation and/or verifying the eligibility of additional software requests.
A proposal (taking into account both licensing and financial constraints) is drawn thereafter and brought to the approval of the Executive Committee.
Costs will be charged onto ICT Service budget if the software concerned is of interest to the entire community or significant interest to at least two academic Units, or; charged to the requesting academic Unit if the software is an alternative tool to an already existing campus product and/or is of interest to a restricted group of users/to the academic Unit only (principle of local interest).
- Software requests by single Researchers, which do not fall into the above categories, may be covered by their supervisor's research budget.
For further details, please check:
= Please note, however, that Projects may be charged, instead, for the cost/leasing of the standard equipment (Desktop PC + Screen) depending on the agreement with the sponors(s).
= In case of Windows installation on a Mac, a valid license must be procured: this will fall under ICT's budget in case of Administrative staff or on the user's/Project's expense in case of Academic staff.
Page last updated on 19 July 2023